- What is the PUID?
- Who gets a Purdue ID card?
- When do I get my Purdue ID?
- Where do I get my Purdue ID?
- What if I don't have a photo ID if I lose my Purdue ID Card?
- What do you do with my photo?
- What is the cost of the card?
- What if I have a name change and/or ID number change?
- What services does using the Purdue ID Card provide?
- What are the Purdue ID Card rules?
- Limits on the use of your Purdue ID card.
- What is a preferred name?
- How do I change my preferred name?
- Where else does my preferred name appear?
- Who can get their preferred names on their Purdue ID Card?
- How do I get my preferred name on my Purdue ID Card?
- Are there limitations on the preferred name?
- What can I do if the preferred name is deemed inappropriate?
- How does the appeal process work?
- Will my legal name appear on the card?
- Is there a charge to get my preferred name on my Purdue ID Card?
- Can I keep both cards after I pay for a replacement?
- Can I get a new photo or keep the photo on file?
LOST OR STOLEN
- Where is the Online Photo Submission Application?
- Who is eligible to use the Online Photos Submission Application?
- What are the requirements for the photo submitted?
- Do I need to notify the Purdue ID Office once I upload my photo?
- How will I know if my photo was accepted?
- Where will I pick up my Purdue ID during STAR?
- Can anyone pick up my Purdue ID for me?
- Can I get a photo if I don't submit a photo online?
- Why do I need to pick up my Purdue ID during STAR?
- Can I have my Purdue ID mailed to me?
- Can I change my picture later?
--- General ---
The Purdue University Identification (PUID) is a 10-digit number unique to each individual designed to :
- correctly and consistently establish an individual's distinct identity for University business;
- have value only in the Purdue University system;
- serve as one piece of identification. In addition, other means of authentication, such as a PIN, date of birth or other information may be required;
- allow an individual to access information or services when used with additional information;
- remain the same even when an individual's relationship with Purdue changes over time.
All persons affiliated with the University as a student, faculty or staff member, or affiliate will be assigned a PUID number upon joining the University community.
New students attending Summer Transition, Advising and Registration (STAR)
The Purdue ID Card will be available for pickup at check-in on your STAR date if you have already successfully submitted a photo online.
If you are not attending STAR, the Purdue ID Card is not available for pickup until after August 1. International students must have a completed SEVIS form before we can issue a Purdue ID Card.
The Purdue ID Card is not available for the fall semester until after August 1. Students must be enrolled for classes.
Staff members can obtain an optional photo identification card by providing a government-issued photo identification card such as a driver´s license or passport and the Purdue University identification number (PUID) at the Purdue ID Card Office. Since the PUID number is printed on the card, a card cannot be issued until a PUID number is assigned. You can obtain your PUID number by logging onto the mail directory. If you are a new staff member and not in the directory, contact your departmental business office.
International Visiting Scholars must have a completed SEVIS form from the Office of International Students and Scholars, located in Room 136 in Schleman Hall. A Certificate of Eligibility For Exchange Visitor Status (also known as a J-1 or DS-2019) must also be provided.
Domestic Visiting Scholars must have an appointment letter on departmental letterhead signed by the department head, dean, and the Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs or his designee stating the term of their stay at Purdue will need to be provided.
Temporary staff members can obtain an optional photo identification card by providing a government-issued photo identification card such as a driver´s license or passport and the Purdue University identification number (PUID) at the Purdue ID Card Office. Since the PUID number is printed on the card, a card cannot be issued until a PUID number is assigned. You can obtain your PUID number by logging onto the mail directory. If you are a new staff member and not in the directory, contact your departmental business office.
Retirees from the West Lafayette campus must show their official retiree letter.
If you are a new student registered for STAR, pick up at registration for STAR in Stewart Center. All others should go to the ground floor of Hovde Hall, room 5.
A new photo will be taken for every card issued and identity will be verified for everyone. If you do not have a photo ID, you can prove your identity with TWO of the following:
- Printed class schedule with name
- Piece of mail with name and address
- Paycheck stub with name and address
- Credit or debit card
- Certified copy of your birth certificate
- Social Security card
The photo taken for your Purdue Identification Card is stored digitally by Purdue ID Card Office and may be used for other approved business purposes at Purdue. Your digital photograph may be used under the following circumstances:
- for security and identification purposes;
- to comply with applicable laws, regulations, and lawful orders and requests to produce the photograph, upon direction and approval from the Office of Legal Counsel.
The first one's on us. Your first Purdue ID Card is free and it never expires.
If you must change your name or ID number, you will need to go to the registrar's office in Hovde Hall, Room 45. After changing your name at the registrar, please bring your current ID card to the Purdue ID Card Office to the ground floor of Hovde Hall, room 5. If you do not have your current card or if the ID rules (see above) were not followed, you will be charged $25 to replace the card. If the current ID card is turned in and the ID rules were followed, the card will be replaced free of charge.
The PUID printed on your Purdue ID Card may be used to determine eligibility for services such as use of the Purdue Libraries, academic privileges, access to a computing career account, email privileges, CityBus services and more. Additional services may be added to the card.
- This card is your official University ID, and should be carried at all times. It’s the property of Purdue University, and the policies and procedures of the University govern its use.
- The Purdue ID Card is a photo card and is to be used only by the person to whom it is issued. It is not to be loaned to any other person for use and is subject to confiscation if found in the possession of another person.
- DO NOT mutilate the Purdue ID, punch holes or change any of the information on the ID. Any of these misuses will result in a $25 charge to replace the ID.
- This card is NOT TRANSFERABLE.
- The University is not responsible for any loss or expenses resulting from the loss, theft or misuse of this card.
- If found, please return the card to Purdue ID Card Office; Ground floor of Hovde Hall, Room 5; 610 Purdue Mall; West Lafayette, IN 47907. Phone: 765-494-0444.
- You may use your Purdue ID Card as many times a day as you wish, provided there are sufficient funds in your BoilerExpress account to pay for the goods or services purchased.
- You may purchase items up to the full amount available in your BoilerExpress account at the time of the purchase without limits. If you use all the funds in your account, you must make another deposit and we must collect the funds before your Purdue ID Card may be used for purchases again.
- There are no sign-up fees, no monthly or interest charges, and no minimum balance to maintain.
--- Preferred Name ---
- Many individuals on campus have expressed a desire to be known by a name different than their legal name, which is referred to as preferred name.
- Students can change their preferred name via the myPurdue portal. https://wl.mypurdue.purdue.edu/cp/home/displaylogin
- Faculty and staff must contact Human Resources.
- The Purdue ID Card Office is not able to change preferred names in either system.
- It may take up to 3 business days for the update to appear and a card to be printed
- The legal name will continue to be used in business processes that require use of the legal name, such as for payroll records and student transcripts.
- Faculty, staff, retiree, and student cardholders may have an appropriate preferred name used on their Purdue ID Cards.
- Students, staff and faculty can come to the Purdue ID Card Office and request a replacement Purdue ID Card with their preferred name printed on the card. There is a $25.00 replacement fee. Staff will determine if the preferred name is in our system, and meets our guidelines. Customers can choose to get a new photo or use the same photo on file*. All customers must surrender their current Purdue ID Card according to Purdue ID Card Office standards.
- The individual is free to determine the preferred name they want to be known by in the University's information systems. Establishing a preferred name in Banner does not automatically give the right to put the name on the Purdue ID Card. Your Purdue University issued ID Card is your official university ID and is the property of Purdue University. Purdue reserves the right to decline the ID holder’s request to print preferred name on the Purdue ID Card if the name is deemed inappropriate. Inappropriate preferred names include but are not limited to those that avoid legal obligation, misrepresent, harass or threaten. In most cases, a preferred name should not be a message, company or group name, especially if it is for promotional purposes.
- Individuals with preferred names deemed inappropriate can either:
- Obtain a Purdue ID Card with just their legal name.
- Change their preferred name in Banner and return later to our office for their Purdue ID Card with revised appropriate preferred name.
- Or appeal the decision
- To appeal the decision of the Purdue ID Card Office staff, please send an email to PurdueIDCardOffice@purdue.edu stating your request to appeal the decision. Please explain your position as completely as possible on why you believe the preferred name is appropriate. The Purdue ID Card Office Manager will contact the Registrar’s Office, Human Resources or Trademarks and Licensing to discuss the appeal and then contact the cardholder with a final decision within 30 days. These offices have the ultimate authority in determining the appropriateness of preferred names. An email response will be sent to inform the cardholder of the decision within 30 days of the request. At that point the decision will be considered final. If the request has been approved, the Purdue ID Card staff must issue a Purdue ID Card with the approved preferred name.
- The legal name also will print on the reverse of the Purdue ID Card.
- There is a $25.00 replacement fee
- Sorry no.
- *A new photo is always an option for the replacement card. Students and staff have the option to keep the existing photo on file if the photo is less than two years old. Purdue Police Department has asked that all customers seeking a replacement Purdue ID Card have updated photos unless they are less than two years from the last print date.
--- Lost or Stolen Cards ---
If you need a new card, you can purchase a replacement for $25 at the Purdue ID Card Office. This fee is payable by cash, check or BoilerExpress only. Debit or credit cards cannot be accepted.
- We accept Cash, Check, BoilerExpress, Mastercard, Visa and Discover
--- Online Photo ---
You must have registered for a STAR Orientation session.
- current color photo
- jpg format
- neutral colored smooth background
- centered and front view of full face
- cropped from just above the top of the head to the collarbone
- proper lighting
- eyes open and visible
- wear prescription glasses if you normally do so
- photo size of 2 MB or 2048 KB
Don't ...wear hats, sunglasses or other items that obscure the face; glare on glasses; shadows; other visible people or objects in the photo; inappropriate expressions. All photos are subject to approval.
The application will automatically notify our office that a photo has been received so you do not need to take any additional action to notify us. All communications regarding the status of your Purdue ID Card will be sent to your Purdue email account, so be sure to check to verify the status of your Purdue ID Card.
All communications regarding the status of your Purdue ID Card will be sent to your Purdue email account. Be sure to check to verify the status of your Purdue ID Card. If accepted, you will receive a verification email and can pick up your Purdue ID Card during registration the day of your STAR Orientation Session.
If your photo was not accepted, you will receive an email that includes the reason the photo could not be accepted. You can then submit a new photo, which meets all requirements, at the same Web address. The new photo will upload over the current photo posted and our office will receive automatic notification a new photo has been submitted. Once the new photo is reviewed, you will receive email communications verifying the status for that photo.
Your Purdue ID Card will be ready for pickup during STAR orientation check-in. You will be required to show a government-issued photo ID when you pick up your Purdue ID Card.
Only the cardholder can pick up their Purdue ID Card. You will be required to show a government-issued photo ID when you pick up your Purdue ID Card.
Sure. Approved Purdue ID Cards not distributed at orientation can be picked up at the Purdue ID Office during regular business hours of Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
When you arrive on campus to start your first semester, you will need your card from day one to access facilities, such as your residence hall or the Rec Sports Center, meal plans, and your account funds for Dining Dollars and BoilerExpress.
Sorry. No Purdue ID Cards can be mailed. You are required to show an official government-issued photo ID when you pick up your card.
After an uploaded photo is approved, the photo cannot be changed. For a $25 replacement fee, students may request a new Purdue ID Card with an updated photo.
--- BoilerExpress ---
Your BoilerExpress account will roll with you from semester to semester and from year to year. Any funds remaining in the account at the end of the school year will still be there when you return the following semester.
The Purdue ID Card Office requires that you fill out an account closure form to close your account. If you have spent all of the money in your account, there is no fee to close the account. If you are requesting a refund, the refund will be processed by the Bursar's office. Any amount due to the University will be deducted from your balance, and a check-writing fee of $10 will be assessed. The remainder will be sent to you at the address you indicated on the form.
The BoilerExpress account is a debit account for which you must fill out an application and deposit funds. The Dining Dollar account is opened for you when you sign up for a housing contract through University Residences based on the meal plan chosen.
Accounts may be closed at the end of the academic year, or when you withdraw from the University. Proceeds from the closed accounts will be paid through the Office of the Bursar, and will be subject to offset against other debts owed the University. A fee of $10 is charged to close an account if a refund of the balance is requested. The Office of the Bursar will not issue checks for balances under $5. Please allow six weeks for processing account closure requests.
You may open an account by submitting an application online. Additional deposits made at any time. Deposits are credited to your account on the day they are received. Deposits are made by cash or check only, in our office and the Residents Halls, and credit or debit cards online.
Your debit account balance will be carried forward from semester to semester as long as you are enrolled or employed by the University. The University retains the right to deactivate accounts that are dormant for over one year. These inactive accounts are subject to a $5 per month maintenance fee.
Cash refunds are not made for returned merchandise. Cash withdrawals will not be permitted.
Future changes in terms and conditions regulating use of this debit account will apply to all cards in circulation and use at that future date and will supersede the terms and conditions in effect at the time the card was acquired.