Purchasing Card Guidelines
The Business Office for Student Organizations has checkout purchasing cards available for qualified student organizations. To qualify for a checkout purchasing card, your organization must have sustainable annual revenue of at least $9,000.00, documented historical purchasing activity that necessitates a card and have been in good standing for at least one year. If you believe your organization qualifies and you’re interested in obtaining a card, please contact BOSO at (765) 494 – 6724, email@example.com or in KRCH 365.
Once your card is obtained, it will be available for checkout from BOSO in KRCH 365 during business hours. In order to checkout your card, a completed purchasing card form signed by the President or Treasurer of your organization is required. If the purchase is associated with an event in which an Activity Planning Form (APF) is required, then page 1 of the APF must be included with the purchasing card form at the time of checkout. Please note that a separate purchasing card form is required for each purchase.
A Purchasing Card Checkout Log is maintained for each individual card. The checkout log contains important information that the individual signing the log needs to understand prior to signing the card out. The card must remain in the possession of the person that checked out the card until it’s returned to BOSO. Cards checked out must be returned to BOSO by close of business the next business day.
The purchasing cards are configured for both hospitality and general purchases. Individual purchases are limited to a maximum of $1,500.00. The purchasing card cycle runs from the 7th of one month to the 6th of another month. For example, August 7th to September 6th constitutes one cycle. Total purchases are limited to $3,000.00 per cycle. It’s important to track your purchases as individual transactions over $1,500.00 and cumulative transactions over $3,000.00 within the cycle will be declined.
Things to remember:
- When returning the card, the wallet should contain all the documents that it contained at the time of checkout. In addition, an itemized receipt must be included. If the item is future dated, please turn in the confirmation receipt when returning the card and let BOSO know when you expect to receive the final receipt. Final receipts should be forwarded to BOSO upon receipt.
- Purchasing cards are only to be used for prior approved purchases.
- Splitting large dollar transactions into smaller transactions to circumvent transaction limits is prohibited. If the limits on your purchasing card don’t sufficiently meet the needs of your organization, please work with BOSO to discuss alternative options.
- Please remember that Purdue is a tax exempt organization and sales tax cannot be charged, except for purchases of catered food and/or prepared food, such as restaurant meals. A copy of Purdue’s tax ID number is printed in the top left corner of your pcard. In addition, a copy of Purdue’s sales tax exempt form is in your pcard wallet. If a purchase is made that incorrectly contains sales tax, the purchaser will be responsible for correcting the error.
- Purdue University is a Coca-Cola campus. Beverages (soda, water, juice, etc.) purchased with student organization raised funds only are exempt, and you can purchase any beverages your organization prefers. If the purchase is funded by university funds (such as student fees and grants), Coca-Cola products must be purchased.
- Prohibited Uses of the Card
- Alcoholic beverages
- Gift Cards
- Online purchases (Amazon, PayPal, Venmo, etc.)
- Travel related purchases (Registrations, airfare, lodging, shuttles, car rental, fuel, etc.)
- Capital equipment (Any tangible item costing $5,000 or more with expected useful life more than one year)
- Controlled substances/items
- Personal or non-business purchases
- Computers and computer equipment of any kind (including iPads)
- IT purchases
- Copiers, printers, scanners, faxes, multi-function (MFP) devices
- Cylinder gases