International Travel

Any employee of Purdue University who is authorized for international travel must follow the appropriate approval, insurance and travel security requirements. International travel is considered travel to, between, or within countries outside the United States and U.S. Territories. This includes Canada and Mexico.  

Refer to the following Purdue Risk Management information on international travel:

The following is a list of expenses that are reimbursable only when traveling on international University business:
  • Fees for conversion of foreign currency
  • Passport and/or Visa fees, including cost of photographs
  • Foreign country exit fees
  • Costs of birth, health, and identity certificates
  • Charges for physical exams and inoculations necessary for foreign travel
  • Fees for travelers checks


  • Rental car usage on international business travel requires the purchase of Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) and Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) insurance offered by the rental car company.
  • Other insurance options such as Personal Accident Insurance (PAI), Supplemental Liability and Personal Effects (PEC) coverage is not reimbursable for domestic or international rentals.
  • A foreign train, bus or other service carrier may be used in lieu of, or as a supplement to air travel at the lowest rate by the transportation facility used.
    • If such travel could have been performed by air, the allowance should not exceed that of coach air accommodations.

Expenses subject to documentation requirements.

A cost comparison is required for all international travel to, between or within countries outside of the United States or U.S. Territories. This includes Mexico and Canada trips if it includes personal travel.