Travelers are provided insurance coverage by the University as outline below:

Personal Car Usage

  • No coverage is provided by Purdue for physical damage to private vehicles used on University business. The university mileage reimbursement on a privately-owned vehicle compensates the traveler for wear and tear, fuel and insurance coverage.

Rental Car  

  • Domestic - Purdue is self-insured for damage exposure on vehicles used by staff traveling on domestic University business. Therefore, the Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) and Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) offered by the rental company should not be purchased as they will not be reimbursed.
  • International Travel is considered travel to, between, or within countries outside the United States and US territories.  This includes Canada and Mexico. Rental car usage on international business travel requires the purchase of Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) and Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) insurance offered by the rental car company.
  • Other insurance options offered such as Personal Accident Insurance (PAI), Supplemental Liability and Personal Effects (PEC) coverage is not reimbursable for domestic or international rentals
  • Reporting Accidents – refer to the Office of Risk Management.

International Travel and Evacuation Insurance  

  • The University purchases international medical and evacuation insurance coverage for two different categories of travelers on university business. Travelers should refer to the International Travel Field Guide  located on Risk Managements website.
  • Additional or optional insurance outside of Risk Management’s policy coverage they issue is not allowable, therefore not reimbursable.

Other Insurance Coverage

  • The purchase of insurance to cover trip interruption, cancellation, baggage, or any other travel related insurance is considered a personal expense and is not reimbursable by the University.