National and Enterprise Rental Cars
- When should I use a rental car versus University fleet?
- What are the benefits of the Big Ten Conference agreement with National Car Rental?
- Who is an eligible renter under the Big Ten contract with National?
- What qualifications does a graduate student have to meet to be eligible?
- How do I know I'm getting the lowest rate?
- Is there a benefit to booking directly with National or Enterprise online?
- Is there a drop charge for one-way rentals?
- What is the Emerald Club Program?
- What are the benefits of Emerald Club membership?
- How do I enroll in the Emerald Club?
- What if I am already an Emerald Club member?
- Does National offer a GPS product in their vehicles?
- What optional coverages will be reimbursed by the University when I rent from National?
- What do I need to know about National's international rates?
Q: When should I use a car rental versus University Fleet?
A: When traveling to off-campus locations normally reached by car, a University fleet vehicle should be your first choice. Currently , National does not have a location in Lafayette/West Lafayette, so University vehicles or Enterprise should be the first choice. When flying to a business location and a rental vehicle is necessary, National should be your first choice.
Q: What are the benefits of the Big Ten Conference agreement with National Car Rental?
A: National Car Rental benefits include the following:
- Unlimited mileage (with some exceptions)
- Our lowest rate is always guaranteed
- Complimentary Emerald Club membership
- Loss Damage Waiver included in rate
- Liability insurance included in rate
- Minimum rental age is 21
- No drop charge on one-way rentals (National only)
- Rate applies to both business and personal travel (liability coverages do not apply to personal travel)
Q: Who is an eligible renter under the Big Ten contract with National?
A: All faculty and staff, including immediate family (spouse and children 21 years and older residing in the same household), retirees and their spouses, on business and leisure rentals. The contract also extends to consultants, contractors whose car rental expenses are being reimbursed by the university and graduate students on business rentals.
Q: What qualifications does a graduate student have to meet to be eligible?
A: Graduate students who are part-time employees of Purdue University are considered eligible renters on business rentals. All graduate students will need to provide a letter on University letterhead, signed by their supervisor, stating the purpose of the rental.
Q: How do I know I'm getting the lowest rate?
A: At the time of reservation, National & Enterprise will compare the negotiated rates with other available retail rates. The lower rate is confirmed and guaranteed. Be sure to identify yourself by providing Purdue University's corporate discount number XZ08035.
This best rate feature only applies to National. In order to receive the coverages included in the Big Ten agreement for Enterprise, the renter must accept the Enterprise contracted rates, not a lower promotional rate if available.
Q: Is there a benefit to booking online?
A: To ensure you receive the Big Ten rates and benefits, make your reservation via the National webpage for Purdue University included below.
- Visit the National and Enterprise webpage
- Click the 'Reserve' button. If necessary, click 'Program Summary' to find out details of the National and Enterprise agreement before reserving
- Click on the appropriate “Reserve” button to begin making your reservation with either National or Enterprise
At the time of reservation, the contract rate will be compared to other applicable retail rates and default to the lowest available rate (as stated above). This best rate feature only applies to National. In order to receive the coverages included in the Big Ten Agreement for Enterprise, you must accept the Enterprise contracted rates, not a lower promotional rate if available.
Q: Is there a drop charge for one-way rentals?
A: While Enterprise assesses a drop charge for one-way rentals, National does not. Therefore, one-way reservations should only be made through National. With National, Purdue travelers receive unlimited mileage on one-way trips with a full-size sedan or smaller vehicle. One-way reservations with larger vehicles will be charged $0.25 per mile.
Q: What is the Emerald Club Program?
A: The Emerald Club is National's frequent renter program, providing members with exclusive benefits and privileges to make renting faster and easier, and make business travel more productive.
Q: What are the benefits of membership?
A: Member benefits include:
- Counter bypass with Emerald Club Aisle Service and Emerald Reserve Service at most major U.S. airports
- Members only counters with pre-printed rental agreements at over 400 airports in the U.S. and Canada
- Earn credits redeemable for free car rental days
- Expedited online reservation process Access to an exclusive member services hotline
- Upgrade opportunity to the next membership level – Emerald Club Executive – with only 12 rentals in a calendar year
Q: How do I enroll in the Emerald Club?
A:To enroll in the Emerald Club: Click on the Emerald Club enrollment link posted on the National Program summary page. Complete the application and click the submit button. This is the fastest and easiest way to enroll.
Q: What if I am already an Emerald Club member?
A: Ensure your Emerald Club profile contains correct data, including Purdue University's name and corporate discount number XZ08035 and current credit card information. You may view and update most information in your profile online by logging in to www.EmeraldClub.com and clicking on the Update Profile tab.
If your corporate discount number on your profile does not match the one listed above, you will need to update it by calling Emerald Club Member Services at (800) 962-7070 (M-F, 9am – 6pm EST) and provide them with Purdue's corporate discount number XZ08035. Due to verification issues, the corporate discount number cannot be updated online.
Q: Does National offer a GPS product?
A: Yes, National & Enterprise offer portable units at over 150 participating locations in the continental U.S. and Canada. The GPS units should be reserved in advance and can be picked up at the exit booth or counter for $8.99 per day. Rental of a GPS unit is a reimbursable expense if considered necessary for your business destination and purpose.
Q: What optional coverages will be reimbursed by the University when I rent from National in the United States?
A: When traveling in the United States, the University will NOT reimburse you for any optional coverages such as LDW, CDW, Supplemental Liability Insurance, Personal Affects or Personal Accident Insurance. These should be declined on the Emerald Club application and/or at the time of rental unless you wish to pay these as a personal expense. The Loss Damage Waiver and Liability coverage is included in the rate on business rentals when using Purdue's corporate discount number XZ08035.
Q: What do I need to know about National's international rates for business use?
A: When renting in Canada, you may rent from either National or Enterprise under the Big Ten agreement. There is no damage waiver included with either company in Canada. See Big Ten agreement prices for Canada in the Program Summary. When renting in Latin America or Asia Pacific, our agreement provides contracted rates and a damage waiver although a deductible will apply. When renting in EMEA, National is no longer a contractual option under our Big Ten agreement. All EMEA rentals should be directed to Enterprise Rent-A-Car to be assured of receiving the Big Ten contracted rates and coverages (deductibles will apply).
Please Note: National Car Rental and Enterprise Rent-A-Car are the only car rental companies that have a signed agreement with the Big Ten Conference. With National and Enterprise, you can be sure of full contract benefits at all U.S. locations.