The Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) continues the research scholarship program to recognize undergraduate student engagement in original research, scholarship, or creative work under the guidance of a Purdue faculty or approved mentor. These annual, non-renewable, academic scholarships, in the amount of $1,000 ($500 per semester) and disbursed through the Division of Financial Aid, are funded through an equal matching agreement between the OUR and each of the participating Colleges and Schools.
OUR Scholars are full-time undergraduate researchers who excel in their programs. OUR Scholars are determined for a full academic year and must meet certain program requirements, such as presenting at the annual Undergraduate Research Conference or "Celebrate..." events and attending professional development seminars.
Sponsoring Academic Units:
College of Agriculture · College of Education · College of Engineering · College of Health & Human Sciences · College of Liberal Arts · College of Pharmacy · College of Science · Honors College · Krannert School of Management · Purdue Polytechnic Institute · Purdue Libraries
Monthly deadlines until all spots are filled for Engineering, Purdue Polytechnic Institute, Krannert School of Management, and Honors College.
Next Deadline: May 31, 2019
- Student Application: Includes student information and project information (background, objectives, approach, and results)
- Research Mentor Recommendation: A letter of recommendation using the above Qualtrics link or the one emailed to them after the student completes their application
OUR Scholar Qualifications
- Full-time student (minimum of 12 credit hours) in good academic standing at the West Lafayette campus - includes PharmD students who have not been awarded a bachelor's degree - for the entire 2018-19 academic year.
- Preference is given to students with a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or above.
- Work on the same, year-long project for two academic semesters (Fall 2019 and Spring 2020).
- Students with multiple majors, including the Honors College, shall select a single college or school to review their application.
- Purdue Polytechnic Institute projects: Proposed research projects from students in the Polytechnic Institute must align with one or more of the Polytechnic research impact areas: Realizing the Digital Enterprise, Healthy and Sustainable Communities, Future Work and Learning, Cybersecurity and Critical Infrastructure, Community and Civic Engagement. Descriptions for each can be found on the Polytechnic research office website. Faculty support letters must describe how proposed projects are in alignment with one or more research impact areas.
- Previous OUR Scholar recipients are not eligible.
OUR Scholars Expectations
- Enroll and pass a one-credit undergraduate research online course for each semester as an OUR Scholar - most will enroll in GS 29501 and GS 39501, but previous enrollment status in these courses may alter the actual course
- Disseminate research at the Purdue Undergraduate Research Conference in the spring or the Celebrate Purdue's Thinkers, Creators, and Experimenters showcase in the spring, if available
- Submit two end-of-the-semester reports of their undergraduate research experience as an online course assignments
The announcement of scholarships will be provided to selected students the following month.