Global Initiatives Support Team: Description and Purpose
Multifunctional central office support team incorporating resources from a variety of the administrative roles commonly required in support of global initiatives and engagement. The primary purposes of the group include: streamlining the process of rapidly obtaining accurate information that must be synthesized from multiple central areas that are physically and structurally separate; developing and/or deploying university-wide policies and procedures to facilitate a consistent approach to global engagement enterprise wide; allocation of central resources; development of country specific guides for both operations and faculty/staff; and publishing of a central web resource with tools, templates, etc. to aid in the administration of global projects.
Current membership of the group includes representatives from human resources, payroll, treasury operations, risk management, accounting, tax, procurement, sponsored programs, general counsel, business management and regional campuses.
Baseline Functional Requirements of Global Initiatives
- Health and Safety
- Liability/Insurance/Risk Management
- Treasury (banking services, cash management, foreign exchange, currency fluctuation, repatriation of funds, etc.)
- Legal entity/legal status in-country/in-country registration/permanent establishment
- Purchasing and Contracting
- Export Control
- Human Resources (hiring, termination, onboarding, benefits, performance management, payroll, expatriates v. local nationals v. third country nationals (TCNs), employment tax obligations, overseas allowances, employment contracts, compliance with local employment law, holidays, vacation, leaves, workers comp, employee v. independent contractor, etc.)
- Tax Issues – TINs, income tax, VAT, excise duties, filing host country information returns
- Sub award management
- For sponsored funds, compliance with various OMB requirements, etc.
- Signature delegation (contractual/financial)/Power of Attorney