Getting Started with Cognos
Below are THREE steps required to obtain a Cognos license
- Request a Cognos License
- Request Data Access
- Register and complete data and tool training as recommended for your position.
1. Requesting a Cognos License
A Cognos license grants the user the ability to log into Cognos and run reports based on their data access. Cognos licenses are tied to the position of the employee. Should an employee change positions, they would only need to request a new license if their new position did not previously have one assigned to it. If a potential user is in need of a license, a request needs to be submitted for any newly created positions or positions that do not already contain a Cognos license.
Steps for the Supervisor, Business Office, or Role Requester:
- From the OneCampus portal, navigate to the Employee Launchpad - SuccessFactors
- Open the Cognos License Request QRG and follow the steps to submit a Cognos reporting tool license request.
- The role name to obtain a Consumer Cognos license is:
- S4 - BI Lic BI215_000_ENH_CONSUMER or PWL Cognos License.
The View Assigned Roles QRG will show you how to view the roles that are currently assigned to a position.
Requesting a Cognos License with Authoring Capabilities:
Authoring capabilities allow the user to build or edit existing Cognos reports. Steps for the Supervisor, Business Office, or Role Requester:
- Repeat steps 1, 2, and 3 directly above.
- To obtain a Cognos license with Authoring Capabilities BOTH a Consumer license and Authoring Capabilities need to be requested:
- S4 - BI Lic BI215_000_ENH_CONSUMER or PWL Cognos License
- S4 - BI Lic BI205_000_PROFESSIONAL or PWL Cognos Author Capability
2. Requesting Data Access
In addition to accessing the tool and/or authoring capability if needed, users also need to request data access to the various subject areas they want to run or build reports against:
For student data, see the Student ODS/EDW access page for steps on requesting access.
For business data, see the HR/FI access page for steps on requesting access.
3. Register for Data and Tool Training
Register and complete Data and Tool Training as recommended for your position.