Skip to main content

Parents and Families

As a parent/guardian of a college student, your roll in their education has changed. The Parents and Families Department at Purdue has many different ways for you to be involved. Also as the parent/guardian you know your child best. If you see any new behaviors that are concerning to you please let the University know (Parents & Families, academic advisor, Office of the Dean of Students, etc.). Your concerns about your student will be addressed, though due to FERPA laws the University may not contact you to let you know the result of the information you provide.

Every student is assigned to an advisor that they will work with to accomplish their academic and career goals. If a student is pursuing multiple programs (majors), they will have multiple advisors. The advisor is an expert on curriculum, policy, and degree requirements in their department. All students are required to meet with their advisor at least once a semester. If a student does not meet with their advisor, they will not be able to register for classes the next semester. During advising appointments students will discuss how they plan to progress towards graduation, address any issues they are having with current classes, transition to Purdue, social/personal concerns, and discuss campus resources that may be beneficial to overall success. It is the student's responsibility to come to advising appointments with an idea of the classes that they would like to take to plan their schedule for the next semester.

FERPA stands for the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. Once a student begins his or her education in higher education (even if they are not yet 18) only that student has the right to access and correct their educational record. The student can request that information be shared with other parties (e.g. parents) in writing.

Information pertaining to financial aid can be located by visiting the Department of Financial Aid. Students are encouraged to monitor their financial tab in myPurdue and to contact the Department of Financial Aid if they have any questions. It is also important to note that financial awards cannot exceed cost of attendance.

Scholarships are offered at both the University and college level. Most University scholarships are awarded to students who complete the admission application by November 1 and file the FAFSA by March 1. For more information click here.

College of Science scholarship awards are based on many factors including, but not limited to: academic achievement and success, research experience, community service, co-curricular activities, professional goals and leadership. Scholarship committees review all College of Science students at the departmental and college level to determine scholarship eligibility and awards. For more information on College of Science scholarships click here.

The Bursar's Office can defer your tuition and or/fees. However, before you can ask for a fee deferment, your fees must be assessed. For questions, please contact the Bursar's Office, Hovde Hall room 14, or by calling (765) 494-7579.

Please note: You must also have a current mailing address on file in the Office of the Registrar's system. Visit myPurdue and go to "Personal Information" under "Quick Links." Or, use the kiosk located outside the Registrar's office on the ground floor of Hovde Hall.

There are many different resources for students at Purdue. You can find a complete list of available resources on the Student Success website.

For health related needs students can go to the Purdue Student Health Center (PUSH). PUSH can meet the needs of most health related concerns. Visits to the medical clinic are provided at no cost to full time students who have paid the student fee. There may be additional costs for specialty services such as laboratory services, radiology services, after hours care, etc.

For mental health related concerns students can go to Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS). Student are allotted a certain amount of free sessions per semester depending on type of service and their enrollment status.v

Many questions about the College of Science can be found through a Purdue Google search. If you still have questions please contact

Purdue University College of Science, 150 N. University St, West Lafayette, IN 47907 • Phone: (765) 494-1729, Fax: (765) 494-1736

Student Advising Office: (765) 494-1771, Fax: (765) 496-3015 • Science IT, (765) 494-4488

© 2024 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints

Trouble with this page? Disability-related accessibility issue? Please contact the College of Science Webmaster.