Skip to main content


I am now on probation. Why did this happen?

University Regulations – Academic Standards Policy 

You have been placed on academic probation because your current semester GPA and/or cumulative GPA have fallen below the 2.0 GPA minimum GPA requirements.

Probation is a WARNING that you must make significant changes in your way of studying and preparing for your courses. If you earn a 2.0 or higher semester and cumulative GPA at the end of the semester subsequent to being placed on academic probation you will return to good academic standing. However, if you again earn less than a 2.0 semester and cumulative GPA at the end of the semester subsequent to probation, you will move to drop status and will not be able to return to Purdue for the following term or semester.

Academic Standing GPA Information Notes
Good Standing Cumulative GPA ≥ 2.0 &  semester GPA ≥ 2.0  Both must be at or above 2.0 to remain in good academic standing.
Academic Probation Cumulative GPA OR semester GPA < 2.0 at end of a semester Could affect scholarships, financial aid, internships, and CODO process.
Continued Probation Either cumulative OR semester GPA > 2.0 Must have at least one over 2.0 to avoid dismissal.
Academic Dismissal (Dropped Status) Both cumulative & semester GPA < 2.0 and a student is already on academic probation Student will be dropped from the University and cannot return the following semester. Student must apply for readmission; readmission is not guaranteed.

Probation status may not be appealed. Academic status is a University regulation; academic advisors cannot help if there is an error in your status or grades.

What do I need to do if I am on academic probation?


You will be contacted by your academic advisor to complete the Probation Intervention Process. This process will allow you and your advisor to review your fall semester and identify difficulties you experienced which negatively affected your grades. This information will then be used to create a plan of action, which may include referrals to campus resources. Your advisor's goal will be to assist you in returning to good academic standing. It is very important that you complete the probation intervention process and meet with your academic advisor within the first two weeks of the Spring 2018 semester.


I think one of my grades is incorrect and that I should not be in probation status. What can I do to get my grade changed?


Students who believe they have received an incorrect grade may dispute their grade using the Grade Appeals Process within 30 days of the start of the subsequent semester (excludes summer session).


Purdue University College of Science, 150 N. University St, West Lafayette, IN 47907 • Phone: (765) 494-1729, Fax: (765) 494-1736

Student Advising Office: (765) 494-1771, Fax: (765) 496-3015 • Science IT, (765) 494-4488

© 2023 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints

Trouble with this page? Disability-related accessibility issue? Please contact the College of Science Webmaster.