Technical Presentation Experience Guidelines
The Technical Presentation requirement may be met by completing one of the following experiential options:
- Science-based presentation at a scientific meeting (sole or predominant presenter); or
- Science-based presentation of work at an adjudicated poster session
a. Presentation must be made in the presence of a certified judge
b. Written feedback must be provided to the student); or
- Science-based presentation of work during an internship or co-op; or
- Three faculty approved science-based 10-minute (or longer) presentations within science course(s).
Students should plan to complete the approval process in advance of an experience. Post-experience approvals will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Meet with your academic advisor to discuss your interest in using an experience to meet the Technical Presentation requirement to review the approval process.
- Complete the Experiential Learning Contract
To complete the contract, you will need to identify an Evaluator (ex. faculty member, research principal or employment supervisor) who will work with you to assess and evaluate your technical presenting process and experience. You will need to secure this individual's signature on the contract.* Once completed, you will submit or send the Experiential Learning Contract to the address below.
- Complete the Technical Presentation Preapproval Form with your evaluator. This form must be submitted prior to the beginning of the technical presenting experience.
*Note: If an Evaluator will not be assigned before the experience starts, please provide general contact information including the location of the experience. Submit a statement to firstname.lastname@example.org, outlining your intended experience and documenting how it will meet the Technical Presenting requirement. This statement will be evaluated pending the completion of the preapproval form by your Evaluator. The Preapproval stage is not complete until the Evaluator submits the Preapproval Form to the address listed on the bottom of the form and the experience is approved by a Faculty Representative.
A student will work with their Evaluator to complete an approved technical presentation. A process of observation to discuss a student’s progress towards the goal of a completed technical presentation project and periodic feedback to the student are required. Students and their evaluators should meet regularly to monitor the process.
The following documents must be completed prior to the start of the Technical Presentation experience:
- Experiential Learning Contract containing requisite signatures.
- Technical Presentation Preapproval Form. This form allows an Evaluator, who will assess the student’s experience, to document the experiential process and how it will meet the Technical Presentation requirement in College of Science core curriculum. Evaluators should be concise but thorough in their explanations. The Preapproval Form should be sent to the following address to secure approval of the experience by a Faculty Representative: Science Undergraduate Advising Office, Mathematical Sciences building, Room 231,150 N University St, MA 231, West Lafayette, IN 47907-2067 or email to: email@example.com.
The Faculty Representative will review the Experiential Learning Contract and Preapproval Form to determine if the experience may be preapproved to meet the Technical Presentation requirement. This decision will be sent to the student and student’s advisor via Purdue email addresses.
Final Approval Stage
The following documents must be completed and submitted to request final approval of a Technical Presentation experience:
- Technical Presentation Final Approval Form completed by your evaluator.
- First draft and final draft of your technical presentation outline.
- First presentation and final presentation Technical Presenting Rubrics. Both rubrics must be completed by your Evaluator.
To provide documentation of the student’s technical presentation process, the following forms must be submitted to secure a final approval:
- Technical Presentation Final Approval Form.
- First presentation and final presentation Technical Presenting Rubrics. Two rubrics must be submitted.
All documentation will be collected by the Undergraduate Education Office and therefore, should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or the Science Undergraduate Advising Office, Mathematical Sciences building, Room 231,150 N University St, MA 231, West Lafayette, IN 47907-2067.
The Faculty Representative will review the evaluator’s and student’s submissions to determine if the Technical Presentation requirement has been met. All documentation will be collected by the Undergraduate Education Office and therefore, should be sent to email@example.com or the Science Undergraduate Advising Office, Mathematical Sciences building, Room 231,150 N University St, MA 231, West Lafayette, IN 47907-2067.
- All Aboard Purdue
- Academic & Registration Resources
- Advisor Directory
- CoS Advising Policy
- CODO Information
- CODO Procedure and Advising
- Dual Degree Policy
- Curriculum and Degree Requirements
- Grade Appeals
- Pre-professional Programs
- Earning Requirements Through Experience
- SPLASH - Science Plus Liberal Arts: Second Home
- Student Resources
- Registrar's Office Student Resources
- Tutoring Services/Help Sessions
- Student and Family FAQ