Data Analysts mostly work with an organization’s structured data. They create reports, dashboards and other visualizations based on data associated with customers, business processes, and market economics.
Sample of Reported Job Titles
Data Visualization Analyst, Operations Strategic Data Analyst, Data Processing Systems Analyst, Data Warehouse Analyst, Analyst, Quality Analyst, Business Analyst
Data Analysts mostly work with an organization’s structured data. They create reports, dashboards and other visualizations based on data associated with customers, business processes, and market economics. They provide these insights to senior management and business leaders to support decision-making. The types of data utilized by data analysts include market research, profit margins, logistics, inventories, sales figures, and more. They use this data to help time sales, optimize business expenses, and estimate market share.
- Analyze data using statistical techniques and provide reports
- Develop and implement database and data collection systems
- Acquire data from primary and secondary sources and maintain data systems
- Identify, analyze, and interpret trends in datasets
- Perform data cleaning on large datasets
Typically, data analysts have at least a bachelor’s in computer science, statistics, data science, mathematics, or a related field. One can gain addition experience required to secure a job in this role through internships or self-study.
Salary Information 2020
According to Robert Half's 2020 Technology and IT Salary Guide, the following information corresponds to the salaries of Data Analysts. The bottom 25% of earners made less than $83,750, the medium income was $100,250, and the top 25% of earners made more than $118,750.
Want to know more?
Belonging to professional organizations & LinkedIn groups can provide you with networking, informational interviewing, & job shadowing opportunities, as well as assist you with finding internships and jobs.
- List of Professional Organizations
- Digital Analytics Association
- Association for Information Science and Technology (ASIS&T)
Find a Job
- Career Development
- What Can I do with a Major In...
- Career Mapping System
- Personalize Your Career Plan
- Build a Professional Profile
- Internships and Research
- Job Search Resources
- Programs & Events
- Additional Career Resources
- Archived Newsletters
- Applying to Graduate School
- Reporting Your Post-Grad Plans
- Post-Graduation Data
- Alumni Profiles