Business Intelligence Analyst
Produce financial and market intelligence by querying data repositories and generating periodic reports. Devise methods for identifying data patterns and trends in available information sources.
Sample of Reported Job Titles
Competitive Intelligence Analyst, Data Analyst, Intelligence Analyst, Market Intelligence Analyst, Market Intelligence Consultant, Researcher, Strategic Business and Technology Intelligence Consultant, Strategist
Business intelligence analysts utilize data collected by a company to optimize profits and efficiency. Through the use skills in data analysis such as visualization, modeling, and analytics, they identify trends in large datasets. The trends they identify will typically be used my other departments in the business to improve internal processes and business decisions. They often utilize data mining to collect large volumes of data and compare trends with competitors, while also effectively communicating finding to others in the organization.
- Generate standard or custom reports summarizing business, financial, or economic data for review by executives, managers, clients, and other stakeholders.
- Synthesize current business intelligence or trend data to support recommendations for action.
- Maintain library of model documents, templates, or other reusable knowledge assets.
- Create business intelligence tools or systems, including design of related databases, spreadsheets, or outputs.
- Manage timely flow of business intelligence information to users.
A bachelor’s degree in computer science, statistics, mathematics, business, economics, or a related field is required to start a career as a Business Intelligence Analyst. Some positions might require an MBA however, a majority require only a bachelor’s degree. One may secure an entry level job with an unrelated undergraduate degree if they have taken sufficient coursework in the majors listed above.
Salary Information 2019
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the following information correspends to the salaries of Business Intelligence Analysts. The bottom 10% of earners made less than $43,780, the median salary was $88,550, and the top 10% of earners made more than $146,440
Want to know more?
Belonging to professional organizations & LinkedIn groups can provide you with networking, informational interviewing, & job shadowing opportunities, as well as assist you with finding internships and jobs.
- List of Professional Organizations
- Special Libraries Association
- Strategic and Competitive Intelligence Professionals
Find a Job
- Career Development
- What Can I do with a Major In...
- Career Mapping System
- Personalize Your Career Plan
- Build a Professional Profile
- Internships and Research
- Job Search Resources
- Programs & Events
- Additional Career Resources
- Archived Newsletters
- Applying to Graduate School
- Reporting Your Post-Grad Plans
- Post-Graduation Data
- Alumni Profiles