Big Data Engineer
Big data engineers develop, maintain, test, and evaluate big data solutions within organizations. Duties include resolving ambiguities in data, performance optimization, and data extraction.
Sample of Reported Job Titles
Big Data Architect, Big Data Developer, Big Data Analyst, Big Data Administrator, Data Engineer, Principal Engineer – Big Data
Big data engineers operate in a multi-faceted role wherein they act at the intersection of computer science, data manipulation, and engineering. They’re duties include resolving ambiguities in data, performance optimization, data extraction and more. They are responsible for developing, maintaining, testing, and evaluating big data solutions within organizations. Big data engineers have knowledge of the use and implementation of big data frameworks and NoSQL databases.
- Design, develop, construct, install, test, and maintain data management and processing systems
- Build scalable, robust, and fault tolerant systems
- Ensure architecture is planned such that it meets all business goals
- Reduce system complexity by creating data models
- Propose ways to improve data quality, reliability, and the efficiency of the system as a whole
Big Data Engineering jobs require at least a bachelor’s degree in computer science, data science, mathematics, or a related field.
Salary Information 2020
According to glassdoor.com, the following information corresponds to the salaries of Big Data Engineers. The average salary of a Big Data Engineer is $102,864.
Want to know more?
- Edureka – Big Data Engineer Skills
- DataFloq – Big Data Engineer Description
- Field Engineer – Big Data Engineer
Belonging to professional organizations & LinkedIn groups can provide you with networking, informational interviewing, & job shadowing opportunities, as well as assist you with finding internships and jobs.
- List of Professional Organizations
- ACM Special Interest Group on Knowledge Discovery in Data and Data Mining (SIGKDD)
Find a Job
- Career Development
- What Can I do with a Major In...
- Career Mapping System
- Personalize Your Career Plan
- Build a Professional Profile
- Internships and Research
- Job Search Resources
- Programs & Events
- Additional Career Resources
- Archived Newsletters
- Applying to Graduate School
- Reporting Your Post-Grad Plans
- Post-Graduation Data
- Alumni Profiles