Giant Leaps in HHS
- College of Health and Human Sciences established to enhance student opportunities and promote faculty collaborations aimed at improving health and quality of life of people
- Christine Ladisch, vice provost for academic affairs, appointed inaugural dean
- First class graduates from College of Health and Human Sciences
- Purdue Athletes Life Success program celebrates 10th anniversary
- Marriott Hall, home to the School of Hospitality and Tourism Management, opens
- Hanley Hall, home to the Department of Human Development and Family Studies, opens
- Jessica Huber (Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences) develops SpeechVive, a device that cues patients with Parkinson’s disease to speak more loudly and clearly.
- HHS Chronic Disease Interest Research Group is formed
- Women’s Global Health Institute launches in partnership with Purdue’s Discovery Park
- School of Health Sciences establishes 3+2 program which combines three years of health sciences curriculum and two years of Krannert business management study for an advanced business degree in health management.
- Hospitality and Tourism Management student Brad Niemeier wins $20,000 as the top finisher in Purdue’s 25thannual Burton D. Morgan Business Plan Competition for his Azzip Pizza fast-casual restaurant concept. (By 2018, Brad has seven Azzip Pizza restaurants.)
- School of Nursing celebrates 50th anniversary
- Christine Ladisch formally named first dean of HHS
- Consumer Science student Krizia Phillips creates the official Purdue tartan plaid
- U.S. Department of Defense selects Department of Human Development and Family Studies to develop a new curriculum based on best practices in promoting children’s school readiness in all domains of early development.
- Expanded Public Health Graduate Program launches
- Lyles-Porter Hall, home to the Department of Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences; a fitness center; a healthcare clinic; psychology treatment and research clinics; and a nutrition science training and research center.
- Purdue Autism Cluster established
- Jeffrey Karpicke (Psychological Sciences), receives Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers
- Linda Nie (Health Sciences), creates first-ever transportable, noninvasive medical device to assess real-time bone levels of manganese, aluminum and other essential metals in normal and diseased human subjects. It is particularly useful for bone manganese as biomarker for early diagnosis of manganese-induced Parkinsonian disorder.
- Shirley Rietdyk (Health and Kinesiology), co-designs SmartGait, a modified smartphone tool to aid health care professionals in assessing a person’s risk of falling and identifying ways to avoid injury.
- HHS Extension introduces Be Heart Smart, the first health and wellness program developed by Purdue Extension
- Military Family Research Institute celebrates 15th anniversary
- Center for Families celebrates 20th anniversary
- Department of Consumer Science offers CSR 103 (Introduction to Personal Finance), a new course intended to provide students with a solid foundation of basic financial knowledge and very practical solutions and tools to help them better manage their personal finances.
- Consumer Science student, Rachel Box, wins $20,000 as the top finisher in Purdue’s annual Burton D. Morgan Business Plan Competition. Her company, “Guarders,” designs women’s undergarments with strategic pockets for unobtrusively stashing necessities such as a phone, key, credit card and driver’s license.
- Wayne Campbell (Nutrition Science) serves on a U.S. government committee to shape Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
- First C.A.M.P. (Clinical Applications for future Medical Professionals) session launches
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging Facility opens
- Center for Research on Brain, Behavior, and Neurorehabilitation launches
- Purdue Acceptance and Inclusion Consortium launches
- Newly renovated Nutrition and Exercise Clinical Research facility opens
- Department of Nutrition Science celebrates 110th anniversary
- Department of Health and Kinesiology celebrates 100th anniversary
- Ben and Maxine Miller Child Development Laboratory School celebrates 90th anniversary
- School of Nursing expansion initiative launches
- Faculty in Hospitality and Tourism Management create wage impact calculator for fast-food restaurants. The free online tool provides restaurant owners a quick reference to calculate the percentage price change needed to maintain profit levels in relation to increasing the minimum wage.
- Industrial-Organizational Psychology celebrates 80th anniversary
- Inaugural cohort of PhD in Nursing students begin their plans of study to become nurse scientists
- HTM online MS degree program launches
- Public Health Graduate Program/MPH accreditation received
- MPH online degree program launches
- 2018 Didactic Program in Dietetics and Coordinated Program in Dietetics receives re-accreditation
- HHS Study Abroad participation at an all-time high
- HTM Black Tie Dinner celebrates 20th anniversary
- David Rollock (Psychological Sciences) name 150th Anniversary professor
- Ben (AG’63) and Barbara (HS’64) Edmonson establish first Rising Star Professorship in HHS
- HHS exceeds $77 million fundraising goal for Ever True: The Campaign for Purdue University a year ahead of schedule
- Marion Underwood named new dean of HHS