Health Insurance Information
- Understanding Health Insurance Coverage
- Trans-Affirming Health Insurance for Purdue Students
- Trans-Affirming Health Insurance for Purdue Employees and Dependents
- How to Determine if Your Health Insurance Plan Covers Trans-Affirming Care
- How to Find Trans-Affirming Health Insurance Coverage
Navigating health insurance policies can be a challenging process, especially when seeking information for specific types of care. If you have questions after reviewing the resources on this page, send an email to LGBTQ@purdue.edu and a LGBTQ Center staff member will connect you to someone who can help.
- Terminology - Review this guide from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota for an explanation and definitions of common terms.
- Healthcare.gov provides a general guide to Understanding Your Health Care Coverage.
Purdue Health Insurance Coverage for Trans-Affirming Care
Purdue University’s student insurance plans provide coverage for hormone replacement therapy (HRT) and many gender affirming surgeries. For questions regarding Purdue student health insurance plans, contact the Health Insurance Office at the Purdue University Student Health Services.
- Information about the current student health insurance plans
- Information regarding which procedures are covered
Purdue University's faculty and staff insurance plans provide coverage for hormone replacement therapy (HRT) and gender affirming surgeries. For questions regarding Purdue staff/faculty health insurance plans, contact Human Resources.
- Information about the current plans, including informational brochures, are available on the Human Resources Benefits website.
- Information regarding which procedures are covered under the plans can be found on the Anthem website.
- The best way to determine this is to ask your insurance company by calling the customer service phone number on the back of your insurance card.Some health insurance companies have stipulations regarding the coverage of certain transition-related procedures. Use specific language to describe the type of hormone-replacement therapy and/or gender-affirming surgeries you are seeking coverage for and check to see if your insurance company requires documentation, pre-authorization, or pre-approval before they will approve coverage of the procedure(s).
- If you are enrolled in a Purdue University staff/faculty or student health insurance plan, coverage is provided.
- Review this 2012 guide to understanding trans-inclusive health care coverage from the Human Rights Campaign which may help you determine if your plan covers transition-related medical care.
- Review the Guide to finding trans-inclusive health insurance plans on the Health Insurance Marketplace from Healthcare.gov.
- The National Center for Transgender Equality provides information for obtaining coverage for trans health care through Medicare.
- National Center for Transgender Equality – Know Your Rights: Healthcare
If you would like more information or resources for obtaining or navigating health insurance plans, please contact us at LGBTQ@purdue.edu.