Please review our updated training procedures. On this page:
- About Safe Zone
- Training Dates
- Virtual training format
- Registration instructions
- Frequently Asked Questions
The Safe Zone training program empowers participants to support LGBTQIA+ students, staff and faculty and create change on campus. Over 2,500 students, staff, faculty and community members have participated in Safe Zone training to better understand the unique needs and concerns LGBTQ people face in higher education and increase their knowledge, skills, and abilities to create a more inclusive and affirming campus. There is no cost associated with attending Safe Zone training.
- Develop an understanding of LGBTQIA+ terminology and history
- Learn about the concepts of privilege and identity development
- Interact with a panel of LGBTQIA+ student speakers
- Build skills for identifying and interrupting language and behavior that may be unwelcoming or discriminatory
- Identify campus resources that can provide support to LGBTQIA+ students, staff, and faculty
Become A Safe Zone Program Member
Upon completion of the workshop, attendees can choose to become a Safe Zone member by completing a contract expressing their commitment to supporting diversity and inclusion at Purdue. Additionally, Safe Zone members display a placard in a visible location, such as a door to an office or residence hall, that identifies them as a friend, supporter and campus resource for anyone seeking information or a listening ear. This placard identifies dedicated safe spaces on campus for LGBTQ people to connect with allies to the community.
Safe Zone Members
- Actively participate in developing a visible and supportive community
- Continue their own education around LGBTQ identities
- Share their knowledge, modeling language and behavior that is inclusive
- Advocate for a campus community free from discrimination and bias
Safe Zone members are not expected to:
- Be experts on all topics related to LGBTQIA+ identities
- Provide emotional support or act as therapists (unless they are a licensed therapist acting in their role as a therapist)
For more information, please email LGBTQ@purdue.edu.
(Note: You will be able to register for Part 1 and Part 2 during the registration process.)
Safe Zone, Part 1
- Wednesday, January 20, 2021
- Monday, February 8, 2021
- Thursday, March 18, 2021
- Tuesday, April 13, 2021
- Thursday, May 20, 2021
Safe Zone, Part 2
- Friday, January 22, 2021
- Tuesday, February 9, 2021
- Friday, March 19, 2021
- Thursday, April 15, 2021
- Friday, May 21, 2021
To maintain social distance, all Fall 2020 Safe Zone training sessions will be facilitated via a virtual meeting platform rather than the traditional in-person format.
The three hour Safe Zone training curriculum will be divided into two 90 minute modules in order to optimize participant experience and minimize fatigue caused by virtual meeting platforms.
Step 1: Review the training dates below.
Step 2: To complete the online registration form, click on the date you are available to attend Part 1 of Safe Zone Training. You will be able to register for Safe Zone, Part 2 during the registration process. The date you select for Part 2 must fall after the date you select for Part 1.
Step 3: Review and save the confirmation email you received after completing the registration process.
Example Registration Scenarios
A participant who registered for the Safe Zone, Part 1 training session on September 10th, is eligible to register for any of the Part 2 training sessions listed below, including the Part 2 session scheduled for December 3rd.
However, a participant who registers for the Safe Zone, Part 1 training session on October 20, would not be eligible to attend the Safe Zone, Part 2 training session on September 11th.)
Note: Participants must complete both Part 1 and Part 2 of Safe Zone training to receive a Safe Zone placard.
Click "Register" next to the date for Part 1 that fits your schedule to complete the registration process. You will be able to register for Part 2 on the same form. (Review full instructions and frequently asked questions.)
Safe Zone, Part 1
- Thursday, September 10, 2020 | 9:30am - 11:00am | Register
- Tuesday, October 20, 2020 | 9:30am - 11:00am | Register
- Tuesday, November 10, 2020 | 9:30am - 11:00am | Register
- Tuesday, December 1, 2020 | 9:30am - 11:00am | Register
Safe Zone, Part 2
(Note: During the registration process for Part 1, you will be able to register for Part 2.)
- Friday, September 11, 2020 | 9:30am - 11:00am
- Thursday, October 22, 2020 | 9:30am - 11:00am
- Friday, November 13, 2020 | 9:30am - 11:00am
- Thursday, December 3, 2020 | 9:30am - 11:00am