Exploratory Studies Explore. Discover. Decide

Frequently Asked Questions about Academic Notice

Students are placed on academic notice if their semester GPA OR cumulative GPA is lower than a 2.0 at the end of any fall or spring semester.

Academic Notice is meant to give students a warning that their GPA is too low, as well a full Fall or Spring semester to raise that GPA. A 2.0 cumulative GPA is required to graduate from Purdue (some degrees require higher GPA's), which is why the GPA for Academic Notice is set at that level.

Most Purdue colleges and schools will not allow students to CODO-in if they are on Academic Notice. This can delay a student’s academic progress and graduation date.

Finally, Academic Notice status puts students in danger of being academically separated (formerly "dropped") from Purdue.  Students can be academically separated if, at the end of their Academic Notice semester they earn less than 2.0 for BOTH their semester and cumulative GPA's. 

During a student's Academic Notice semester, we in Exploratory Studies help them examine the factors that contributed to their earned low GPA and then strategize how to raise it. Students should also work with various college professionals to figure out how to be more successful moving forward.

For more information, see Academic Notice at Purdue University

Purdue Policy on Academic Deficiency states that students already on Academic Notice status will be academically separated (formerly "dropped") from Purdue if BOTH their semester GPA AND their cumulative GPAs are below 2.0 at the end of a fall or spring semester.


In order to get off of academic notice and return to good standing, students need to earn a semester GPA equal to or greater than 2.0 AND raise their cumulative GPA to equal to or greater than 2.0.
Students on Academic Notice status will remain in that status for another semester if only ONE of their semester or cumulative GPA is below a 2.0 (and the other is at or above a 2.0).

Students who in Academic Separation status from the University for the first time are not eligible to apply for readmission for at least one Fall or Spring semester. Generally, students must complete at least 12 credit hours of coursework at another university with grades of C- or higher in all classes as a basic consideration for readmission. However, keep in mind that readmission is not guaranteed even if students complete these basic requirements. Readmission applications are reviewed on a case-by-case basis and readmission requirements will vary by Purdue colleges and schools. For more details information, visit Purdue Readmission after Academic Separation.

Students who gain readmission are readmitted on Academic Notice status and need to earn at least a 2.0 (semester) GPA the semester they return to remain at Purdue.

Not necessarily. Students can remain in Academic Notice status for multiple semesters without being academically separated if EITHER their semester or cumulative GPA is equal to or greater than 2.0. 

A student in Academic Notice status will be academically separated from the University at the close of any Fall or Spring semester in which their semester AND cumulative GPA are less than a 2.0.

You cannot be placed in - or removed from - Academic Notice status due to Summer semester grades.  Summer semesters are short (8 - 12 weeks) and have limited credit hours (up to 10).  We want to give students a full 16-week, 15 credit hours to pull their grades up!

However, while grades from Summer classes can't immediately remove students from (or place them on) Academic Notice status, Summer grades DO affect their cumulative GPA.  In combination with their Fall semester grades, this can help them get back into Good Academic standing (or onto Academic Notice/Separation status) quicker!

Faculty are responsible for assigning grades and, except for unusual circumstances, grades given are final. Students who don't agree with a grade earned should follow the grade appeal process. Usually the first step of the appeal is to contact and work with the instructor to resolve the grade disagreement. From there, the concern is taken to progressively higher levels of leadership.

If you believe a grade was entered into the computer incorrectly, contact your instructor right away to get this resolved.  We're all human and your instructor really does want to make sure you earned the grade he or she assigned!  We also encourage you to check your Academic Transcript at the end of each semester to make sure grades were report correctly AND that any grade replacements happened as expected. You can find your transcript at MyPurdue home page > Academics page > Transcripts box > View Unofficial Transcript link. Be sure to check your academic transcript in myPurdue at the end of each semester to check for accuracy. 

Any grade change due to a reporting error or appeal will result in a recalculation of the GPA and determination of Academic Notice status. Remember, your academic standing is assessed at the end of Fall and Spring semesters only (though summer grades do impact cumulative GPAs).

Students come to Exploratory Studies and Purdue University in order to find out what major is right for them, earn their degree, and move on. No one wants to be placed on Academic Notice status or be academically separated from Purdue!  We in Exploratory Studies want all of our students to be successful, so we designed the Laying Tracks Program homepage to help students improve their academic performance and to get back into Good Academic standing.

Students may choose to withdraw from one course or all courses by contacting their academic advisor.  This decision may impact your academic standing and potential to be academically separated from the university so be sure to work with your advisor when making these decisions. 

The Drop/Add Deadlines Calendar for the current term details the dates and processes for withdrawing from one or more courses. In the Fall and Spring semesters, the final course drop date is usually the end of the 1st week of classes.  In the Summer semester, the final course drop date depends on the length of the course (4-week, 6-week, 8-week, or 12-week) and the starting date of the course (May, June, or July). 

To withdraw from all their courses students should follow this process on this page: University Withdrawal Procedure.  Students who are withdrawing from all Summer semester courses also need to follow this procedure (even if it's just one courses they are taking).