Current Term- Full Withdrawal

A student who wishes to withdraw from all current term classes during any semester or summer session may begin the withdrawal process by completing the following actions:

  1. Log in to myPurdue and perform the following steps: 
  • Select the Registration tab
  • Select “Withdrawal from Current Academic Term" 
  • Complete and submit the form
  1. You have 5 business days to speak with a Student Support Specialist in the Office of the Dean of Students at 765-494-1747 or should you have any questions or change your mind. Failure to contact ODOS will result in your withdrawal being processed 5 days after your submission.

The day that you submit your online withdrawal request, unless otherwise determined by the Office of the Dean of Students, will be considered your effective withdrawal date. The withdrawal action will be considered final upon Dean of Students approval of the withdrawal. You will receive email verification when the process is complete.

Specific withdrawal dates can be found in the Mortar Board calendar and on the Office of the Registrar's website. Please note that grade assignment and refund schedules for academic sessions of shorter duration are proportionate to the length of the session.

Before a student withdraws from the University, it is important to be aware of how that decision may impact financial aid. To learn more about this impact, please consult with the Division of Financial Aid.

Current Term- Partial Withdrawal

Students may drop or withdraw from individual classes through the scheduling assistant in myPurdue according to the schedule created for each term.

After the first day of the term, withdrawal from your only or last class is considered a full withdrawal from the term and students must follow the full withdrawal procedures outlined above.

Special Circumstances Withdrawal After Deadline

Purdue has established deadlines for when students may withdraw from classes. A Special Circumstances Withdrawal may be considered after the deadline if there are extenuating circumstances outside of the student’s control.  For consideration of a full withdrawal after the deadline, contact ODOS at 765-494-1747 to speak with a Student Support Specialist. To request a partial withdrawal after the deadline, contact the Office of the Registrar at 765-494-6165 or

Please note that additional documentation may be required and your withdrawal is not guaranteed.

Purdue Online & Polytechnic Statewide Locations

Students in the following programs must speak to their academic advisor or program coordinator about the withdrawal process:

Polytechnic Statewide Locations
Online Management Executive Education (Krannert)
Purdue Online:
  • Agriculture
  • Education
  • Engineering
  • Health and Human Sciences
  • Liberal Arts
  • Management
  • Polytechnic
  • Science
  • Vet Nursing
Not Enrolling in an Upcoming Semester

At times a student may wish to not enroll in an upcoming term. This can occur when students are planning to transfer from Purdue, sit out one term and return, or otherwise take a break. If a student wishes to re-enroll at Purdue within 3 consecutive terms (including summer) they should simply contact their academic advisor to discuss registration. After 3 terms one would need to complete the re-entry process through Undergraduate Admissions or consult your graduate school.

While there is no official process to withdraw from Purdue for a future term, students should consider the following:

Resources & Related Offices to Consult

You may wish to consult with the following offices:                                               

Graduate School Admissions                                   
Purdue Promise          
Undergraduate Admissions                                                      
University Residences                                           
University Receivables & Collections Office                                                                                  
Retroactive/Previous Term Withdrawal


Please consult your academic advisor if you feel you have had extenuating circumstances that may warrant submitting an appeal for a retroactive withdrawal through the Office of the Registrar. This process is utilized when the course has ended.