Purdue University Change of Citizenship Status

Students who have a change of citizenship may update their status with the University by submitting copies of their documentation to the Office of the Registrar via Filelocker.  Change of citizenship forms and documents are not accepted via email.

Required Documentation

To request a change in citizenship status, students must provide proof of that change by providing the following documentation:

  • A completed Citizenship Update Form, including signature and date. (and)

  • PUID or other form of ID, such as driver’s license or passport (and)

  • Documentation of Citizenship change (provide one of the following, as applicable)
    • Evidence of Approved Lawful Permanent Resident Status
    • Naturalization Certificate
    • Asylee
      • USCIS Form I-94 (Admission class of AY) with “USCIS Asylum Status Granted Indefinitely” stamp & date and signature of agent & Residence Code (A number)
    • Refugee
      • USCIS Form 1-94 (Admission class of RE) with stamped notation of refugee immigration status, which includes arrival date/ INS Number / Employment authorization


Changes to citizenship must be submitted no later than 15 business days after the first day of classes of the academic semester or session for which updates are requested.  All citizenship update requests received after the deadline will go into effect for the next term enrolled.

Submitting Documentation

Once you've gathered the required documentation, you will submit this information to the Office of the Registrar via FileLocker. Filelocker, is Purdue University's approved temporary and secure storage system for sharing files and data.

Please note: PDFs are the preferred file format for documentation. Additionally, if you can compress all your PDFs/documentation into a compressed (zipped) folder, it will make processing easier.

Once you have your documentation gathered, please take the following steps:

  1. Navigate to FileLocker.
    • For help with Filelocker, please click here.

  2. Upload your compressed folder or PDFs to FileLocker.

  3. Once your file has uploaded, click on that file and click the "Share This File" button that appears in the drop-down window.

  4. When the pop-up box appears, select to "Share with a user".

  5. Type in the Purdue career account alias "mille672" into the box.

  6. Click the "Share" link that populates to the right of Kara Green's name.

International to Domestic Residency Information

A change in citizenship status from International to Domestic will result in a residence reclassification to Non-Resident for tuition and fee purposes.  Students who believe that their circumstances meet the University’s definition of Resident would need to submit an application for Residence Classification for Tuition and Fee Purposes.  That information is located at www.purdue.edu/registrar/residency.

Important Note:  International students who wish to make changes to their Non-Immigrant Visa Status must do so through the International Students and Scholars Office.  More information regarding this type of change is located here: https://www.purdue.edu/IPPU/ISS/Student/changeStatus.html

Questions about the process may be submitted through the online contact form, https://www.purdue.edu/registrar/

Purdue University, 610 Purdue Mall, West Lafayette, IN 47907, (765) 494-4600

2015 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by Office of Registrar

Need accessibility help? For help with this page, contact Office of the Registrar at registrar@purdue.edu.