Disclosures for Faculty/Student

Notifications Banner

On this page:


In the United States, academic institutions and programs use accreditation to ensure that they are meeting established standards of educational quality. Accreditation is a voluntary process of self-reflection and peer review that helps institutions to identify opportunities and challenges throughout the university.

The Higher Learning Commission has established a clear distinction between individual grievances and complaints that appear to involve broad institutional practices. To submit a complaint that raises issues regarding the institution’s ongoing ability to meet the Criteria of Accreditation, please go the following website. https://www.hlcommission.org/HLC-Institutions/complaints.html?highlight=WyJjb21wbGFpbnQiXQ

To learn more about Purdue’s accreditation status, including the meaning of accreditation status and the accreditor’s contact information, please proceed to the following link: https://www.purdue.edu/idata/Services/Accreditation/index.php

Disclosures for Professional Licensure

It is highly recommended, that as a student enrolled in a program potentially leading to professional licensure, you contact the appropriate Academic Program to confirm:

  • I understand Purdue University cannot guarantee placement within specific requested districts/schools
  • I have been informed that this online program has pre-requisites and will be held accountable for any additional fees and placement opportunities
  • I understand the program that I am applying for does/does not lead to state licensure

Purdue University Online Student Complaint Policy

Pursuant to the U.S. Department of Education’s Federal Integrity Rules, Purdue University must provide to its out-of-state distance education students or prospective students the contact information for filing complaints with each state licensing entity and any other relevant agency that would handle the complaint.

If a student located in a SARA state has a complaint about an institution operating under SARA, complaints must first go through the institution’s standard procedure for resolution of student grievances; https://www.eventreg.purdue.edu/info/student-complaint-resolution/. If a student is not satisfied with the outcome of the institutional process, the complaint may then be brought to the SARA portal agency in the institution’s home state: https://secure.in.gov/che/2744.htm or https://www.nc-sara.org/student-complaints. The state where the student is located also may resolve the complaint. Although students may choose to work through their own state’s SARA office for complaint resolution, the SARA office of the state where the provider is located is responsible for staffing the investigation and complaint resolution.

Purdue University encourages students and prospective students initially to address complaints relating to Purdue University institutional policies and consumer protection issues with personnel in the office, department, or college that caused the alleged grievance. Senior University administrators will be involved, as needed, to resolve the complaints.

Pursuant to the state authorization provision of the Program Integrity Regulations (34 C.F.R. 668.43) established by the Department of Education on October 29, 2010, the following contact information is provided for filing complaints that remain unresolved after engaging in the above-referenced process. Complaints concerning broad institutional academic practices, such as those that raise issues regarding the University’s ability to meet accreditation standards, may be forwarded to the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, 30 North LaSalle Street, Chicago, Illinois 60602-2504 or www.ncahigherlearningcommission.org. Complaints concerning consumer protection violations may be directed to the Office of the Attorney General of the State of Indiana, Consumer Protection Division, 302 W. Washington St., 5th Floor, Indianapolis, IN 46204. You can also request a complaint form by calling 1.800.382.5516 or 317.232.6330 or fill it online at:

The Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs’ Corporations, Security & Commercial Licensing Bureau is the agency designated to review complaints against institutions of higher education providing distance education. Complaints concerning Purdue University distance education activities regulated by the Indiana Commission for Higher Education and Distance Education Reciprocal Exchange Act (2015 PA 45) may be directed to:

The Indiana Commission for Higher Education,
Attn: Complaints
101 West Ohio Street, Suite 300,
Indianapolis, IN 46204-1984,
E-mail: Complaints@che.in.gov.

Filing Complaints at Purdue University

Complaint Resolution for the Online Learner

Purdue University is committed to creating a campus that is fully accessible to all and to eliminating discrimination against people with disabilities. Purdue strives to provide all people the opportunity to participate and benefit from all university offerings including: employment; education; and public service pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) and the ADA Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA). The Disability Resource Center (DRC) works with students to ensure accommodations are available to students with disabilities. Purdue University Online and broader course design and public offerings present unique concerns. These unique concerns can result in a delay in the implementation of accommodations and legal exposure. This results in students dropping courses, delaying exams, and/or receiving course instruction, several weeks after, their non-disabled peers, and legal risk. This plan is to ensure faculty and staff have the support necessary to meet the requirements for proactive, accessible course design including the accessibility of Electronic Information, and the Communication and Technology, necessary to meet the University’s goals and ensure compliance with applicable law.

Online learning environments should be accessible and follow the standards set by Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0. Utilizing the framework, of Universal Design for Learning (UDL), can assist educators in meeting those standards.

UDL is defined as an approach characterized by proactively thinking about and designing products, systems, services, and environments to be usable by all people (to the greatest extent possible), without the need for accommodation, adaptation, or specialized design.

The term UDL, according to the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008, is a valid framework for guiding educational practice that:

  • Provides flexibility in the ways information is presented, in the ways students respond or demonstrate knowledge and skills, and in the ways students are engaged; and
  • Reduces barriers in instruction, provides appropriate accommodations, and attempts to remove classroom challenges, which can potentially interfere with students, maintaining a high level of achievement.

Thus, in an effort to assist in removing any barrier, we request that students register their online learning complaint at Purdue University Online Student Complaint Resource.

Complaint Resolution

Purdue University is committed to providing online learners with an exceptional educational experience that is transparent, efficient, stimulating and fair. If, as a prospective or current student, you feel that the Purdue University Online experience did not live up to these standards, you may register a complaint.

Filing Complaints at Purdue University

If you are having problems with a course, we encourage students to contact the instructor first. The instructor’s contact information should be available on the course website. If contacting the instructor is not appropriate or has proven ineffective, contact the appropriate office at Purdue. Contacts for some of the important offices are:

Filing Complaints Outside of Purdue University

The Indiana Commission for Higher Education authorizes Purdue University to offer undergraduate and graduate level certificates, baccalaureates, masters, doctorates, and first professional degrees. Our national accreditor is the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.

If the complaint was not properly address by Purdue University, please proceed to the website of the Indiana Commission for Higher Education or Higher Learning Commission.

Students can submit a complaint, in the state of where one resides, while taking the course. Please go to the Professional Licensure and State Authorization website to determine the appropriate State Agency contact and to learn how to file the complaint with them.

Contact Us

Purdue University
610 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907,
(765) 494-4600

State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA)

On February 24, 2014, Purdue University became an official member of the National Council of State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA) and began participating in the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA). A “State authorization reciprocity agreement” is an agreement between two or more States that authorizes an institution located and legally authorized in a State covered by the agreement to provide postsecondary education through distance education or correspondence courses to students in other States covered by the agreement.

Student Complaint Information by State and Agency

To file a complaint with a specific state and agency within that state, please proceed to the following webpage to learn more: https://wcetsan.wiche.edu/resources/student-complaint-information-state-and-agency

Are you Ready to be a Boilermaker?

We offer a wide variety of on- and off-campus programs to accommodate your schedule and budget. Talk to students. Learn more about specific majors. Enjoy lunch at a student dining court. Or, just take a quick online tour from the comfort of your own home.

To connect to the Undergraduate Admissions Requirements, please proceed to the following link: https://admissions.purdue.edu/. To connect to Graduate Admissions Requirements, please proceed to the following link: https://www.purdue.edu/gradschool/prospective/gradrequirements/index.html

Purdue’s Refund Policy

Students who withdraw from the university will receive a pro-rated assessment of tuition and fees according to the schedule (fall and spring) found at: https://www.purdue.edu/treasurer/finance/bursar-office/tuition/refund-and-withdrawals/

Withdrawing from Purdue University

A student who wishes to withdraw from the University during any semester or summer session shall begin the withdrawal process by logging on to MyPurdue, select the Registration tab, select the “Withdraw from the University” link in the lower right hand corner, and complete the form. Once the form is submitted, students are required to complete the process by speaking with a Student Support Specialist in the Office of the Dean of Students in Schleman Hall, Room 207, or by calling 765-494-1747 and asking to speak with a Student Support Specialist. For additional information on the University Withdrawal Procedures click here: https://www.purdue.edu/advocacy/students/withdrawal.html

Returning of Federal Title IV Funds

Title IV (Federal) funds are awarded to a student under the assumption that the student will attend school for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded. When a student withdraws, the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of Title IV funds that the student was originally scheduled to receive. If a student has received Title IV financial aid, a refund must be calculated under the Federal Return of Title IV Funds policy. The refunds are based on the number of days attended for the semester, divided by the total number of days in the semester (minus any scheduled breaks of at least five days in length). Funds are deposited back to the financial aid accounts in accordance with federal regulations. If financial aid funds have been earned and not yet received, the student will be contacted by the Office of the Bursar. To learn more proceed to the following link: https://www.purdue.edu/treasurer/finance/bursar-office/tuition/refund-and-withdrawals/federal-aid/

Contacting the Disability Resource Center


The Disability Resource Center (DRC) ensures universal access to classes, programs and activities. Purdue has designated the DRC to determine reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities.

The DRC uses an interactive process designed to be convenient for students. It starts with a simple conversation. Our first goal is to better understand your unique experience. We then partner with faculty to make accommodations or redesign aspects of the classroom.

Please contact the DRC at (765) 494-1247 to set up an initial meeting before classes start.

Study Abroad Academic Policy and Credit Transfer

Study Abroad Academic Policy: https://www.purdue.edu/IPPU/SA/Policy/index.html
Credit Transfer Information: https://www.purdue.edu/IPPU/SA/FacultyStaff/creditTransfer.html

International Enrollments

Purdue University works to provide global access to its online degree programs. While we carefully track issues related to international authorization and licensure, it is a student’s responsibility to understand requirements related to whether an online degree will be recognized in a country other than the United States, how the collection of student data may be used in another country, and whether withholding taxes (in addition to the price of tuition) will apply. Some countries may not formally recognize foreign online degrees, which may have implications for students who later seek to enroll in other educational programs, or for those who seek employment with that country’s government or other employers requiring specific credentials.

International students considering an academic program that leads to a professional license should first confirm with the appropriate professional licensing board in their country of residence or the country where they intend to work as to whether a Purdue University online degree will be recognized when seeking licensure or certification.

Purdue’s Copyright Policy

Locate it at: https://www.purdue.edu/policies/academic-research-affairs/ia3.html