Purdue University Online is taking applications for CoPILOT: Cohort Program for Innovation and Leadership in Online Teaching.
Purdue West Lafayette instructors of record for online courses may submit an electronic application to join the semester-long, online instructor development program. The program will meet weekly in 60-minute online synchronous sessions.
Through the CoPILOT program each participant will:
- receive assistance from instructional designers and video producers facilitating the program;
- collaborate with the cohort through discussion and review of course design and facilitation plan with actionable feedback; and
- obtain a working knowledge of Purdue University Online services.
By the end of the program, CoPILOT participants will have a ready-to-teach, accessible online course in Brightspace using research-based online course pedagogy that has been reviewed (enabling it to meet “Course Ready” as listed in the QM-Correlated Course Design Evaluation Rubric).
Participants will be expected to complete tasks and assignments prior to course meetings and plan for at least 5 hours outside of meeting time work each week.
Course development through CoPILOT is fully funded, covering the cost of instructional designers and video producers, a savings of $12,200.
Participants in the program will receive a $5,000 stipend for their effort. This stipend will be disbursed in accordance with completion of three course design milestones ($1000 at each milestone) and at the completion of the online course (a final $2000). Instructors will need a WBSE .06 departmental account set up in their name. Funds are to be used to support the CoPILOT instructor and/or the CoPILOT-developed course ($5,000 per completed course).
The goal of CoPILOT is to enable Purdue University instructors to both develop and deliver Best-in-Class (asynchronous, accessible, active-learning) online courses in a scalable, collaborative, and community environment. Specifically, CoPILOT creates cohorts of Purdue faculty in which participants, both individually and collaboratively, enhance their understanding and ability to:
- develop course outcomes and learning objectives;
- design assessments and activities aligned to outcomes and objectives, appropriate for online delivery;
- determine and design course content that incorporates research-based practices for online teaching into course design;
- familiarize themselves with Purdue University Online functional areas; and
- identify and determine best practices for online courses delivery.
Plan, Execute, Teach, Evaluate.
Plan: Design a course in which outcomes, objectives, and course activities are aligned.
Execute: Create the course content and activities in the LMS.
Teach: Facilitate the course and provide student feedback.
Evaluate: Reflect based upon feedback to make course improvements.
Application and Selection of Instructors/Courses
Preparing to Apply
- Download a PDF of the application and gather necessary materials.
- Download an example copy of the CoPILOT letter of agreement and review.
- Meet with both your department head and college administrative lead before you apply to determine if the CoPILOT program is a fit for your mutual goals.
- Submit your digital application online.
- Applications for Fall 2023 and Spring 2024 are being accepted.
- Application deadline for Fall 2023 is June 30, 2023. Applications received after that date may be considered for future semesters.
- Applicants for Fall 2023 will be notified of their acceptance by July 31, 2023.
Purdue University Online College Administrative Leads
- Robin Cunningham (Education) – email@example.com
- John Fassnacht (Engineering/Purdue Polytechnic Institute) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- John Gosney (Health & Human Sciences) – email@example.com
- Ellen Gundlach (Agriculture/Veterinary Medicine) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Marlene Heeg (Pharmacy) – email@example.com
- Clarence Maybee (Libraries) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jeff Nagle (School of Business) – email@example.com
- Julia Sanders (Science/Liberal Arts) – firstname.lastname@example.org