March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month
“Colorectal cancer is the second leading cause of cancer-related deaths.”
– World Health Organization
“If caught at its earliest stages, colorectal cancer is 90 percent curable.”
– National Cancer Institute
Purdue University’s Center for Healthy Living (CHL), in conjunction with Cologuard® and Exact Sciences, is providing no-cost, noninvasive colon cancer screenings to qualifying benefits-eligible Purdue employees and spouses covered on a Purdue health plan.*
Cologuard detects 92 percent of colorectal cancers with 87 percent specificity.
The screening process
In six easy steps, you can easily take care of your colon cancer screening:
- Complete a pre-screening questionnaire on the Healthy Boiler Portal.
- CHL staff will do outreach following questionnaire completion to schedule an appointment.
- After the appointment at the CHL, Cologuard kit will be delivered to patient homes.
- Patient completes and returns the Cologuard kit to Cologuard/Exact Sciences in a prepaid envelope via US mail.
- Results will be delivered to the CHL.
- CHL staff will contact patient to discuss results. (Follow-up appointment and / or referral to specialist may be necessary for those with abnormal results.)
*Cologuard is not for high-risk individuals, including those with a history of colorectal cancer and advanced adenoma, a family history of colorectal cancer, IBD or certain hereditary syndromes. Individuals will complete a pre-screening questionnaire via the Healthy Boiler Portal to determine eligibility for the university’s screening program. All individuals who complete a pre-screening questionnaire will receive guidance from a CHL provider in regards to next best steps.