Frequently Asked Questions

General Information

Where can I find information about:

Grades, Adds, Drops, and Overrides

University Senate Document 83-8, March 26, 1984; revised by University Senate Document 97-7, April 27, 1998, and University Senate Document 00-5, March 19, 2001: For Incomplete Work: A grade of incomplete is a record of work that was interrupted by unavoidable absence or other causes beyond a student's control.

When an instructor reports a grade of incomplete, he/she shall file in the departmental office Registrar's Form 60 stating the reasons for the grade and what is required of the student to achieve a permanent grade. The instructor shall also indicate the grade the student has earned on the work completed, and the weight to be given to the remainder of the work in computing a final, permanent grade.

The student must achieve a permanent grade in the course no later than one year after the incomplete is given, or the incomplete grade will revert to a failing grade. A student will not be permitted to enroll in a course in a future semester for a course in which they have a current I, PI or SI grade.

Students have the opportunity to show proficiency in a subject that they do not already have credit in by taking Advanced Credit or CLEP exams. Many departments will award credit for successfully passing these exams; however, you will want to check with each department to confirm this. For more information about Advanced Credit exams visit the  Purdue Testing Center website . Information on CLEP exams can be found  here .

  • Students should be informed of any potential consequences of changing to part-time academic status should dropping a class put the student below 12 credit hours.
  • International students are required to be enrolled full time in order to maintain their visa status.
  • Dropping a class may mean that a future term's academic load will be heavier or possibly the student's graduation will be delayed.
  • If any courses are a corequisite to the course being dropped, it is necessary to drop the corequisite course as well.
  • International students may not use more than three credits of online learning toward the minimum required for a full course of study. Flipped courses do not count as online learning since these courses require the student's physical presence.
  • An international student who begins his or her program in the summer session must enroll in and complete six credit hours during the first summer session.
  • International students are not required to enroll in 12 credit hours in their final semester; they are only required to enroll in classes that are required to complete their degree. At least one of the classes in the final semester must require their physical presence on campus. In other words, they can’t do all online coursework in their final semester.
  • Generally, international students may not pursue a semester-based Study Abroad experience in their final semester.
  • Incomplete grades must be completed in order to be considered a part of the full course of study. Retaking a course is not considered completing the original course.

Transfer credit does not replace a grade from Purdue, per  Student Regulations . Only repeating the same or equivalent course at any Purdue campus will allow a grade replacement on the transcript. Any questions regarding equivalencies should be directed to the  Office of the Registrar  for validation.

There are not many "standard" overrides. Check the  Office of the Registrar advisors Web page for common student registration errors and solutions.

To contact the department in which an override is desired, consult the  Override Contact Guide, located on the Office of the Registrar website.

Visit the Registrar’s website to view the  Override Contact Guide.

Any request for a CLOSED class must be approved by the Schedule Deputy  Schedule Deputy Contacts.

The requester should have the following information available when making the request:

  • Student full name.
  • Student PUID.
  • Subject, course and CRN if appropriate.
  • Kind of override requested:  Registration Error Help .
  • Why the student merits an override.

The student should anticipate the override, once approved, to be entered into myPurdue. Once completed, the student must register for the class.

For all other overrides, only when you know you have the delegated authority of the department in charge of the course can an override be done.

Holds are placed on a student's account to restrict access/use of an academic function (e.g., registration). Holds are placed on a student's account for a variety of reasons including, but not limited to: non-payment of fines, bills or parking tickets, disciplinary action taken by the Office of the Dean of Students, or failure to meet immunization requirements.

Holds can be viewed by the student in myPurdue and clicking "View Holds." Visit the  Registrar's student hold website for more information pertaining to holds.

Consider the student’s learning style. Can the student:

  • Manage time effectively?
  • Be disciplined to set aside time for studying?
  • Be self-motivated and a self-learner?

It is suggested a student plan to spend three hours minimum per week for every credit hour of class. For example: for a 3.0 cr. hr. class, it is suggested that study time be approximately nine hours per week minimum. "Study time" is considered the time spent after initial retrieval of information.

For online learning, consider the following:

  • Limited interaction with the instructor.
  • Limited social interaction.
  • Appropriate access to technology that meets the course requirements.
  • Some courses require a proctor for taking exams.
  • Transferability of the course to Purdue University.
  • Depending on the course, the cost may not be included in the student's Purdue fees/tuition or covered by financial aid.

Criteria for a continuing student application:

  • Have at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA. The following must be included with the application:
    • A pdf copy of your current transcript, your Purdue ID (PUID) and a list of scholarships granted to you by Purdue (if applicable).
    • A personal statement that answers: What are you passionate about and why? What are your life goals and how will your Purdue degree help you accomplish them?
    • A projected plan of study that shows how you will incorporate the Honors College curriculum into your remaining semesters.
    • Students must have at least four semesters of study remaining at the Purdue West Lafayette campus.
    • Students must agree to complete the  Honors College curriculum.
  • Student must complete the Honors College  transfer/continuing student application during the open application period. 
  • The application must be completed at one time. It is not possible to save it and return to it later.


An organizational chart is available from  Enrollment Management .

You may find information on the  Student Regulations website.

Deans of schools may refuse to accept as credit toward graduation any course that was completed 10 or more years previously. Former students shall be notified immediately of all such decisions upon re-entering. Substitutions of courses required for graduation may be made by the dean of the school conferring the degree.

Per University policy, students scheduled for more than two examinations in one calendar day are entitled to reschedule any examinations in excess of two. Similarly, students faced with a direct exam conflict are entitled to reschedule either examination. It is the responsibility of the student to make the necessary arrangements before the last week of regularly scheduled classes. Course instructor shall not penalize student who chooses to reschedule an examination under these options.

Conflicts shall be resolved as follows (University Senate Document 81-4, April 19, 1982):

  1. In case of examination conflicts (exams scheduled for the same student at the same time), similar to final examinations, students faced with a direct exam conflict are entitled to reschedule either examination. It is the responsibility of the student to make the request for the necessary arrangements at least one week before the scheduled exam. Course instructors shall not penalize a student who chooses to reschedule an examination under these options. In the event the student is unable to reach an agreement with the course instructors to reschedule one of the exams, student will contact the Office of the Registrar; the Registrar will make the final decision as to which exam is to be rescheduled and offered at an alternate time; the Registrar will communicate this decision to the course instructor and relevant department head.
  2. In case of examination conflicts with a scheduled evening course the conflict should be resolved by the course instructors, provided that the student informs them of the conflict at least a week before the exam. If the instructors cannot resolve the conflict, the scheduled evening course takes priority. The examination instructor must offer an alternative time for their exam.
  3. Other conflicts should be resolved between the instructor and the student. Reasons for conflicts should be taken under careful consideration by the instructor. These can include, but are not limited to, participating in athletic or theatrical events, employment, and other mandatory responsibilities. If conflict resolution is not possible, the examination shall take precedence, subject to appeal through the head of the department in which the course is offered.
  4. The Office of the Dean of Students will be available for assistance in conflict resolution.

Your department or unit may have a program specifically for parents and families. Check with your advising unit.  

Purdue University's Parent & Family Programs is a resource for helping parents and families understand the goals of the University community, serving as a central point of contact, and creating positive, long-term relationships between parents, families and the University.

Advise the parent/guardian that their role in their student's education has changed.  Parent & Family Programs  at Purdue has many different ways for parents and families to be involved. Encourage the parent/guardian that they know their child best. If any new behaviors are of concern, let the University know (Parents & Families, academic advisor, Office of the Dean of Students, etc.). Concerns about the student will be addressed, though due to FERPA laws, the University may not contact the parent/guardian to let them know the result of the information provided.

When a student finds it is necessary to miss a class, it is the student's responsibility to let the professor(s) know he/she will be absent and to turn in assignment(s). If it's known in advance that it's necessary to miss a day of class, advise the student to communicate with each professor as soon as possible to discuss how they will make up assignments and/or turn in homework. If the student is gone unexpectedly, some professors require proper documentation of an absence before they will let the student make up assignments; examples of documentation include a doctor's note, court papers, etc. It is the professor's discretion to allow makeup work that is missed. If the work is missing more than three days, it's advisable to contact the  Office of the Dean of Students  as soon as possible. Remind the student to be aware of dates the University is in session and when breaks take place. The academic calendar can be found on the Registrar's website.

First, check the  Purdue Transfer Credit Course Equivalency Guide . Generally, to transfer credit the coursework must meet the following criteria:

  • Earned at a regionally accredited institution.
  • College-level coursework (not remedial or developmental).
  • Student received a grade of "C-" or better in the course.

For a course not previously approved, a student may request approval through Office of Admissions, Credit Evaluation. The student may email The following information should be included:

  1. The name and location of the school
  2. Website for course (if available)
  3. Title, brief description, prerequisites and text used for course
  4. Course outline
  5. Instructor

Information can be found at:

  • Transfer Credit Course Equivalency Guide.
  • Indiana college students — Core Transfer Library.
  • Purdue System Course Replacement List for Degree Progression/Audit.
  • You can also find information on the  Admissions website.
Mia Giron My favorite part about being an advisor is having any personal connections with my advisees through vocational, academic or social experiences.
-Mia Giron