All recognized student organizations, except student housing organizations not under the financial management of Purdue University, are required to manage their finances and related transactions through the Business Office for Student Organizations.
- Regulations applicable to student organizations that conduct financial and business service transactions through the Business Office for Student Organizations:
- An account relationship with the Business Office for Student Organizations must be established after the student organization is formally recognized by the Student Activities and Organizations Office. Refer to the "Procedures for Forming and Maintaining Student Organization" section within the Student Regulations. Upon formal recognition, an account will be established.
- Business and financial procedures, including receiving and dispersing of funds and cash handling activities are to be managed in accordance with University policies and procedures as administered by the Business Office for Student Organizations.
- The Business Office for Student Organizations is to be consulted before contractual services are solicited. All contracts and agreements entered into on behalf of recognized student organizations are to be approved in advance by the Business Office for Student Organizations in accordance with University procedures.
- Treasurers appointed by their respective recognized student organizations are required to attend training workshops as determined by the Student Activities and Organizations Office and Business Office for Student Organizations.
- All financial transactions are to be reviewed and authorized by the responsible student organization officer. Financial records and documents that support financial and business related activities are to be maintained by the recognized student organization.
- Financial records may be requested at any time for audit purposes.
- Each recognized student organization is assessed a financial service fee of one and one-half percent of gross income to defray costs of student organization operations. This fee is subject to change. The fee provides the following support to those recognized student organizations that manage accounts through the Business Office for Student Organizations: general liability insurance coverage, general banking and payment services, a web-based accounting system, web-based store fronts, contract review and approvals, and general business services.
- Financial responsibility of student organization officers:
A student who, through neglect or dishonesty, fails in his/her duties as an officer of any student organization:
- To collect amounts due, or to pay the organization's debts legally incurred by him/her; or
- To account for cash received and expended by him/her; or
- To account for other property entrusted to him/her as an officer of a student organization,
shall be referred to the Office of the Dean of Students, Office of Rights and Responsibilities for appropriate action.
- Sales, canvassing, fundraising projects:
Recognized student organizations may conduct sales, canvassing, and fundraising projects as approved by the Student Activities and Organizations Office. Sales and fundraising activities that are in partnership with an outside vendor will require additional review and approval by the Business Office for Student Organizations.