Personal Directory Information

Students are responsible for providing an up-to-date and accurate record of personal information to the University. The Office of the Registrar is responsible for maintaining this information for the University.

Whenever you move or change telephone numbers, you must notify the Office of the Registrar by using myPurdue or by visiting our office in Room 45, Hovde Hall.

Changing Personal Information

If your local, permanent, or parent address and/or phone number should change during the academic year, either make the update on myPurdue yourself or contact the Office of the Registrar in Room 45, Hovde Hall.

Local addresses and/or phone numbers of students who live in contracted University housing (residence halls, Purdue Village, etc.) are supplied on a daily basis from the Housing System. Consequently, such addresses and phone numbers cannot be changed by the student. Talk to the Account Clerk or Hall Manager of the unit you are living in to update your address and phone number.

To change your name in official university records, it is necessary to bring one of the following official forms of identification with the new name to the Office of the Registrar, Room 45, Hovde Hall:

  • Marriage license
  • Driver's license or state issued photo ID
  • Social Security card (or Social Security print out)
  • Permanent Resident card (Green card)
  • Passport
  • Divorce decree
  • Court order

Students have the ability to add their Preferred Name to their personal information in their myPurdue portal. They also may choose to have it appear on the front of their Purdue ID card. Their legal name will still be printed on the back of their PUID. New or replacement IDs can be printed for a $25 fee through Card Services.

If you do not want your name/address/phone number to appear in the Student and Staff Telephone Directory, contact the Office of the Registrar, Room 45, Hovde Hall, prior to the end of the first week of the fall semester.

The University is permitted to release certain information about a student without the student's expressed permission. This information is called Directory Information and includes:

  • name
  • e-mail address
  • local and home address and phone number
  • college/school
  • program of study
  • classification
  • credit hour load
  • dates of attendance; degrees, awards, and honors received
  • participation in activities and sports
  • and weight, height and position of athletic team members.

Students may request in person, with photo identification, at the Office of the Registrar that all of their directory information be restricted. For these students, NO INFORMATION is released without the students' written consent.

If a student elects to restrict all information, the Office of the Registrar will give the following response to all inquiries: "We have no information on this individual."

For additional help concerning student personal information, call the Office of the Registrar at (765) 494-6165, come to Room 45 in Hovde Hall, or send an inquiry via e-mail to

Purdue University, 610 Purdue Mall, West Lafayette, IN 47907, (765) 494-4600

2015 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by Office of Registrar

Need accessibility help? For help with this page, contact Office of the Registrar at