Preparing for Interviews
So tell me about yourself...
Interviews offer professional schools a chance to discover how well you fit their program. They can judge your communication skills and get a sense of whether they would like to have you as a colleague.
You want to prepare for your interviews--not just wing-it. We can help.
We recommend that you start your interview prep by starting online.
The Center for Career Opportunities has a system called Big Interview.
- Create an account on Big Interview
- You can choose practice, then Admissions Interview--Medical School will probably be the closest choice for all the health professions, but you can also look at the graduate school questions.
- If you have a webcam, you can record yourself answering questions. This is useful so that you can see any mannerisms you might not be aware of. Even without the webcam, you can have "someone" on the system ask you questions and get tips on how to answer.
- Then move to the next step (once you have an actual interview scheduled) of making an appointment for a mock interview.
After practicing with Big Interview and if you have an interview scheduled
- Log into BoilerConnect
- Care Unit: Career/Pre-Professional Advising
- Location: CCO/Pre-Professional Advising
- Service: Healthcare Mock Interview
- Advisor Selection: Cheryl Alcock
- Select Time: 60 minute appointments--This will be a virtual appointment due to COVID risks
- In the notes explain what you are interviewing for, Cheryl tailors the interview to your interests (examples: medical school, physician assistant, veterinary school, etc)
- Dress in interview attire for the mock interview unless you are coming directly from lab where that would not be practical.
- Follow the instructions emailed to you by Cheryl for the meeting.
- Be prepared to answer questions regarding why you want to go into your chosen field, your clinical, healthcare experiences, and meaningful campus or community activities.
Email a pre-professional advisor to request resources for interviews. We have lists of practice questions including:
- General Health Program Interview Questions (4 pages of them)
- Vet Interview Questions
- Behavioral Interview Questions (Tell me about a time when...)
- Dental Interview Questions
- Optometry Interview Questions
- Physician Assistant Interview Questions
- PT/OT Interview Questions
- MD/PhD Interview Questions
- MMI Interview Questions
- Questions to ask schools
- Brainstorming your interviews
- Prep Tips & more!