OptomCAS opens toward the end of June. Ideally you should plan to apply in July or early August. Here are some tips to help you organize your application timeline.
The application action plan helps you with creating a broader overarching plan for your application. This is the big picture view of planning for your application. Remember that PPA Advisors are always happy to help.
Most schools require the OAT in the U.S. and Canada.
The Test has 4 Sections
- Survey of Natural Science (Biology, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry)
- Reading Comprehension
- Quantitative Reasoning
When and Where?
- The test is offered through Prometric Test Centers
- Schedule 60-90 days in advance
- While the test is available most days, test dates do fill up
- You must have 90 days between tests if you choose to repeat the test
Accommodations: You can apply for accommodations. This does take time to apply for and receive--plan ahead. See the OAT Guide (below)
Fee Waivers: Some partial fee waivers are available. This does take time time--plan ahead. See the OAT guide (below)
- Scores range from 200-400
- 300 in the national average
- Unofficial scores are available immediately following the exam
- Scores are generally valid for 2-3 years depending on the school
- Competitive scores range from 330-350
Optometry Application Resources
Applicant & Enrollee Data
Prometric Testing Center Test Day Information
Provide your letter writers our Letter Writer Guide to help them with the letter writing process.
OptomCAS Customer Support
Fastest assistance is to use the chat function in the application
M-F, 9am-5pm ET