The Latest Pre-Professional News
- January 12: Mastering the Medical School Interview. Presented by Ben Gurion University's Medical School for International Health. 7:00pm Eastern. Register here.
- January 14: University of Colorado Mini Law School: Law School 102 registration deadline.
- January 18: The Good, Bad & Ugly of Medicine (Is Becoming a Doctor Right for You?) Presented by Western University College of Osteopathic Medicine. 6:00pm Pacific. Register here.
- January 19: "Considering Optometry? Here's What You Should Know" presented by Southern California College of Optometry. 5:30pm Pacific. Register here.
- January 19: This is Public Health virtual fair. 9:00am-7:00pm. Register here.
- January 20: VMCAS application cycle opens.
- January 21-May 1: JCPenney Suit-Up Event. Extra 30% off coupon for careerwear, shoes & accessories. Text BOILERS to 67292 to use coupon.
- January 21: Barnes & Thornburg PreLaw Scholars Program application deadline. For more information, visit the website.
- January 22: CLEO Virtual PreLaw Program. 9:00am-4:00pm. Learn more and register at the website.
- January 25: Virtual Panel Discussion - "Finding Justice: How Attorneys Help Victims and Survivors of Human Trafficking Across the U.S." 3:30pm-5pm ET. Register here.
- January 30: University of Michigan Frankel Cardiovascular Center Undergraduate Summer Research Program application deadline.
- January 31: "Change Your Career, Change Your Life" Hear from Dr. Rebecca Ford, ND about her path to becoming a naturopathic physician. 1:00pm Central. Register here.
- January 31: UM-SMART Summer Undergraduate Research Program application deadline.
- February 3: AAMC Navigating the AMCAS Choose Your Medical School Tool for 2022 Cycle Applicants. 2:00-3:30pm Eastern. Register here.
- February 5: Summer Health Professions Education Program (SHPEP) application deadline.
- February 5: Stanford University Minority Medical Alliance (SUMMA) Conference.
- February 5: LSAC Digital Law School Forum. 2:00pm-7:00pm Eastern. Register by February 3.
- February 10: IU McKinney School of Law individual advising appointments. Center for Career Opportunities, Young Hall. 11am-5pm. Sign up here.
- February 11: Project Healthcare Summer Volunteer Program application deadline. Apply here.
- February 11: Marshall-Motley Scholars application deadline. Must be starting law school in fall 2022 and plan to pursue a career in Civil Rights law.
- February 28: Health Programs Expo. PMU North & South Ballrooms. 2:00-5:00pm.
- February 28: UCLA PreMedical Enrichment Program application deadline.
- March 25: Doctors on Board Program & Community Health Internship Virtual Program application deadline. For more information and application, visit the website.
- March 28: Pre-Professional Ambassador application deadline.
- March 31: Veterinary Medical Admissions Virtual Fair. 11:00am-5:00pm Eastern. Register here.
Pre-Professional Advising & Purdue News and Events
Information about events sponsored through our office and at Purdue that you should know about. We also recommend that you sign up for our monthly e-newsletter.
Pre-Professional Advising is here to help you with questions you have about professional school and the application process.
Please make an appointment through BoilerConnect to connect with an advisor. During the fall semester, our appointments are remote (Teams, WebEx, Zoom, or phone appointments). If you feel you really need to meet in-person, please email your pre-professional advisor directly and we can arrange an in-person meeting. This will need to be in the morning in Young Hall 132.
You can email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
This website also has a lot of information about applying to professional school as well!
The Center for Career Opportunities may be able to help. Fill out this form to check availability. If something is available, we will let you know.
You will need your own laptop and to maintain all Protect Purdue protocols.
IUSM admissions representatives will be hosting their popular advising appointments with our students again this semester. Because of COVID they will be phone appointments this semester.
This is your opportunity to speak one-on-one with an IU School of Medicine Admissions Representative one-on-one and to ask any questions you have about the process and your future application.
You sign up through an online system with IU. If you find at some point your schedule has changed and you can no longer keep the appointment, please let them know.
Appointments times are limited and will go fast! Sign up soon.
William Mbongo, second year student at Harvard Medical School, Purdue alum, and Fulbright award winner, has created a podcast that follows the journeys of students to medical school. It demystifies the application process and the perception of the "ideal" medical school applicant.
Listen to these fascinating journeys on the go with Will as your guide.
Apple Podcast: DocDreams
Human & Animal Healthcare Online Webinars, News & Events
Links to individual school webinars and other upcoming online events.
The University of Colorado School of Medicine is offering virtual shadowing experiences open to all pre-health students. As of now they only have one session up and ready, but are planning more by Labor Day. Email Bre McKercher at breanna.mckercher@cuanschutz to enroll. (This is a known organization to our office that regularly offers programming to students--usually they offer mountain emergency medicine and tropical emergency medicine courses.)
Two pre-medical students from the University of Central Florida are creating an opportunity to "shadow" virtually by having physicians from various specialties present case-based scenarios on YouTube live. Session times will vary in time/days based on physician availability. They will inform their audience a week prior to the sessions via email. Sign up to be part of their email list by filling out the google form on their Webshadowers website. (This is not a known organization to our office--please let us know if you use this resource and what you think.)
Learn to make clinical decisions through online case studies, assignments, and zoom meetings at Pre-PT Virtual Observation Hours. (This is not a known organization to our office--please let us know if you use this resource and what you think.) Please discuss it with us if there is a fee for the service before signing up.
Law School Webinars, News, & Other Events
Links to individual school webinars and other online information events.
Law School Forums bring together workshops and 150+ law schools to help you learn about the application process and to speak with law school representatives. The events are sponsored by the Law School Admission Council (LSAC) and are free for students.
This year LSAC will host a mix of in-person and virtual forums.
Typically you will need to register for the event several days before the actual event. Make sure you check the time zone too so that you do not miss any sessions.
The first event is a virtual forum on September 10th (register by September 8th)
The next is an in-person forum in Chicago on September 25th (register by September 23rd)
AccessLex Institute offers great (and free) law school workshops on paying for law school, public interest loans, budgeting and other great topics. Register for these workshops.
We sometimes hear about other interesting things you might want to check out!
Scribing is an important job that takes considerable training. You essentially follow a physician, PA, or nurse practitioner and maintain all the charting so that they can focus on the patient.
Others in the medical team count on you being there. Do not take this on lightly or consider this a summer job. Scribing is an important job that takes considerable training. You can learn a lot about taking patient histories, what tests would be ordered, interpreting tests, charting (obviously), and differential diagnosis.
Sometimes things change in the application processes. This space will allow us to alert you to those changes.
Public Health, Medical Humanities, Ethics, & Social Justice Webinars
A little something extra you can add to your education.