Our instructional experts at the Center for Instructional Excellence (CIE) and Teaching & Learning Technologies (TLT) support the mission of Innovative Learning by exploring course design with Purdue Faculty. Whether you are looking to design a new course, redesign an existing course, or fine-tune specific instructional elements, we are available to help. Our instructional experts collaborate with you to:
- Explore how to use the learning environment to enhance your teaching.
- Enhance your current instructional strategies by incorporating Instructional Technology into your course’s design.
- Create a student-centered learning environment.
- Solicit, interpret, and apply student feedback.
- Align your course content and assessments with key Learning Outcomes.
- Draw from a variety of pedagogical approaches to best accomplish your instructional goals.
- Develop Course Learning Outcomes and Objectives to most effectively measure student learning.
We will be happy to meet with you to provide focused assistance on the design of your course. Whether on-campus or online, our instructional experts can help you design the best strategies to meet your goals. Based on your specific course design needs, our level of support can range from individual consultations to a more structured partnership.
Do you need structured support to design and develop your course?
We offer flexibility in the level of support for those projects that require a more systemic and structured approach. When collaborating with an instructional expert to develop your full course, the complete course design process typically spans 16 weeks. While the process is flexible with regards to your needs, the below diagram indicates what you can expect from the complete course design process.
For more information on collaborating with an instructional expert for a full course build, please email InnovativeLearningTeam@purdue.edu
Download the full image
Course Design Review
Instructors interested in learning if your course meets nationally-recognized design standards based upon the Quality Matters Higher Education (QMHE) Rubric, Sixth Edition, you now can use our in-house correlated rubric yourself or reach out to have our Course Production team complete the review process and consult with you.
The benefits of a Course Design Review include knowing if the course is best designed for learner engagement, success and how it stacks up against other courses offered. All of our reviews at this time are informal, internal, and shared directly with the instructor who requests the review. These reviews are not an evaluation of the subject matter or the instructor.
Start a Course Design Review Request Now!
or Request a Consultation
Course Design Review Options
- Quality Instrument: QM-correlated Course Design Evaluation Rubric with LMS Recommendations
- Reviewers: Instructional Designer(s) as part of our contracted fee-based services
- Timeline: Typically one week to complete the process
- Process:Instructor meet with reviewer to receive feedback, including exemplar acknowledgement (if applicable), and additional notes.
- Quality Instrument: QM HE Rubric
- Reviewers: Instructor (self-review)
- Timeline: 8 hour one-day training session in Applying the QM Rubric, offered once/semester
- Process: CDD can train you to use the QM Higher Ed Rubric so you may manage your own informal course reviews on the QM member site. An instructor may review any course at any time keeping all notes about the process through the QM website.