Research and Internship Opportunities
Purdue Research Opportunities
Many faculty members are able to provide funding or offer credit for undergraduate support. Students are encouraged to discuss opportunities and collaborate on research projects with faculty. Visit the Indiana Database of University Research Expertise (INDURE) to explore faculty research areas. Check out the Office of Undergraduate Research website and be sure to subscribe to the OUR Newsletter.
Explore the departments below to see if your department has its own undergraduate research application process or opportunities.
- Biological Sciences Research
- Chemistry Research in CHM 49900
- Computer Science Research
- Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences Research
- Mathematics Internships and Research Opportunities
- Physics & Astronomy Research Opportunities
- Statistics Research Groups
- List of All Research Centers and Institutes at Purdue
Discovery Undergraduate Research Internships (DURI) is designed to involve Purdue undergraduates in the interdisciplinary research environment of Discovery Park. The program provides opportunities for students to work with faculty on cutting edge multidisciplinary research projects. Opportunities are offered for Fall, Spring and Summer sessions.
Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) provides students across all science, engineering and technology disciplines with an intensive research experience, allowing them to work closely with graduate students and professors in their respective schools.
Purdue Graduate School lists undergraduate research opportunities for students at Purdue.
Research and Internship Opportunities by Fields
Many summer programs have application deadlines in February.
Note to International Students: Many, but not all, paid summer research programs are restricted to U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents. Read program requirements closely. International students may approach individual faculty members at Purdue or elsewhere about laboratory work that does not involve a federal program. Check out the other international student resources listed below.
General Internship and Research Opportunities
- American Astronomical Society
- American Chemical Society
- American Mathematical Association Internships
- American Physical Society
- American Statistical Association
- Amgen Scholars
- Amherst College Neuroscience & Biomedical Research Database
- Cold Spring Harbor Laboratories
- Association of Zoos & Aquariums
- Case Western Reserve University- School of Medicine Research
- BioPharm Guy Internships
- Center for Behavioral Neuroscience
- Columbia University Biology (biomed, ecology, and marine) Internship Database
- Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC)
- Committee on the Status of Women in Computing Research (CRA-W)
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Internships in Research & Medicine
- Indiana Intern
- Indianapolis Zoo
- Internship Programs
- Leadership Alliance
- Mayo Clinic
- National Institute of Standards & Technology (NIST)
- National Nanotechnology Infrastructure Network (NNIN)
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- National Park Service
- National Science Foundation
- National Wildlife Federation
- Pathways to Science (STEM)
- Purdue College of Agriculture Internships
- Student Conversation Association
- NIST Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships (SURF)
- Virginia Institute of Marine Science Internships
- Toroidal Snark Math Opportunities
- University of California, Irvine's Research Database
- Web Guru Program Listings
- Central Intelligence Agency (CIA)
- Department of Energy (DOE)
- Department of Energy Undergraduate Internships
- Department of Commerce
- Department of Homeland Security
- Department of the Interior
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
- National Cancer Institute
- National Institute of Allergy & Infectious Diseases
- National Institute on Drug Abuse
- National Institutes of Health Biomedical Science
- National Interagency Confederation for Biological Research
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- National Security Agency (NSA)
- Naval Undersea Warfare Center Newport
- Office of Naval Research
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Association of American Medical Colleges
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center
- National Institute of Health (NIH)
- Rochester Institute of Technology
- St Jude's Children's Research Hospital
- Swarthmore Health Sciences Research Database
- Syracuse University
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Clarkson University
- EURO Scholars
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
- Intern Abroad
- Math in Moscow
- Mathematics Advanced Study Semester
- Organization for Tropical Studies
- Partnerships for International Research and Education
- Pasteur Foundation
- The Zurich Biology Undergraduate School
- Purdue Science and Engineering Projects in Hannover and Clausthal
- Stuttgart University Program for Experiencing Research (SUPER)
Make the most of your searching by checking the myCCO website and exploring the internship websites below.
General Internship Sites
- Ascend Indiana: allows you to connect with Indiana employers. Also use your profile to match your interests and skills to opportunities.
- Career Research Portal: comprehensive resource that supports job and interview seekers throughout the search process.
- Chegg Internships: It offers 100,000 listings from 60,000 employers.
- CollegeRecruiter: Use filters to search for jobs and internships.
- ErasmusIntern: Internships in Europe.
- GoinGlobal: Look for internships globally or within the United States.
- Go Overseas: Jobs and internships abroad.
- Idealist: A site for both jobs and internships.
- Interns for Indiana: connects Boilermakers to high-tech startups in the state. Students must be full-time, undergraduate students enrolled in a degree-seeking program at Purdue, have a minimum 2.8 GPA, and be at least a first semester junior at the time the internship would begin. For international students, this program provides on-campus employment at an off-campus location. No CPT authorization is required.
- INROADS: Paid internships that potentially lead to full time positions.
- LinkedIn: Search for internships and network, especially, with Purdue alumni.
- MyCCO Portal: Purdue University’s official internship/job board through the Center for Career Opportunities (CCO).
- Parker Dewey: provides micro-internships for hands on experience in a short amount of time.
- Pathmaker Internship Program: is designed to provide Purdue students with part-time, career relevant experience on or near campus throughout the school year. Students involved in Pathmaker gain real-world work experience in their chosen field.
- Ripplematch: uses your profile to match you with jobs, internships, and recruiters.
- SEO Career: Internships at partner companies.
- WayUp: Specializes in internships and entry level jobs.
- Work and Learn Indiana: helps you search for internships in a variety of fields and industries throughout Indiana.
- YouTern: Uses mentoring to match students with internships.
International Student Resources
- H1B Grader: Millions of data points collected from US Department of Labor (DOL) and USCIS related to H1B Sponsors that every H1B holder need to know!
- H1B Salary Database: Search salaries by employer, job title, year, and/or city.
- immihelp: Use the H1B Sponsor Employer Search feature to locate employers that have sponsored H1B visas in the past. Quick search and advanced search options available.
- myVisajobs: Use the employer search database to locate employers that have sponsored H1B visas in the past.
- USCIS: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Explore the H1B Employer Data Hub.
- Visadoor: Search the H1B LCA Salary Database.
- Global Law Center: How to search jobs using an H1B database.
- STILT: How to find a job using an H1B database.
- Career Development
- What Can I do with a Major In...
- Career Mapping System
- Personalize Your Career Plan
- Build a Professional Profile
- Internships and Research
- Job Search Resources
- Programs & Events
- Additional Career Resources
- Archived Newsletters
- Applying to Graduate School
- Reporting Your Post-Grad Plans
- Post-Graduation Data
- Alumni Profiles