October 24, 2017
Five honored as Purdue Distinguished Education Alumni
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. — Purdue University’s College of Education will honor five distinguished alumni during its 2017 Distinguished Education Alumni Awards event on Friday (Oct. 27).
John Campbell, Patricia Albjerg Graham, Sheila Klinker, Sarah Powley and Gilman Whiting are the recipients of the distinguished alumni award. For additional information, go to https://www.education.purdue.edu/alumni/distinguished-alumni/.
* John Campbell, of Morgantown, West Virginia, is vice provost at West Virginia University. He earned all three of his degrees from Purdue – a bachelor’s degree in science/mathematics education in 1989, a master’s degree in educational technology and instructional design in 1991 and a doctorate in higher education administration in 2007. Photo
* Patricia Albjerg Graham of Cambridge, Massachusetts, is the Charles Warren Professor of the History of Education emerita at Harvard University. Graham earned a bachelor’s degree with highest distinction in 1955 and a master’s in 1957, both from Purdue University. She holds a doctorate from Columbia University and is a leading historian of American education. Photo
* Sheila Klinker of Lafayette, Indiana, is a state representative for Indiana House District 27, where she has served since 1982. She holds bachelor’s and master’s degrees in elementary education in 1961 and 1970 from Purdue University. Photo
* Sarah Powley of West Lafayette, Indiana, serves as an instructional coach for secondary teachers of all disciplines in the Tippecanoe School Corporation in Lafayette, Indiana. She earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in English from DePauw University and a master’s degree in English education in 1985 from Purdue University. She also holds a gifted and talented endorsement from Purdue University. Photo
* Gilman Whiting, of Nashville, Tennessee, is an associate professor and director of graduate studies for African American and diaspora studies at Vanderbilt University. He earned his doctorate in curriculum and instruction in 2004 from Purdue University. Photo
Writer: Brian L. Huchel, 765-494-2084, email@example.com
Source: Tonya Agnew, 765-494-0568, firstname.lastname@example.org