Avanzando Through College at Purdue University 2023-2024
Avanzando through College is a 2-semester program that helps first-generation Latino students to navigate the college system. Starting in Fall 2022 and keeping the same cohort of students through Spring 2023, the Latino Cultural Center will implement a 13-workshop curriculum that will provide participants with opportunities to gain the skills to graduate from college in a timely manner and soft skills that apply to future career opportunities.
Participants are provided with wrap-around support via check-ins with a case manager and peer mentors as well as opportunities to connect with resources across Purdue’s campus.
Participants who attend ALL mandatory sessions will be eligible for a $500 stipend in the spring.
- First-Generation College Student or
- Latino/a/x/e and
- Year 1-2 Traditional Undergraduate Student (High School to Purdue) or
- Year 1-4 Transfer Undergraduate Student (Community College to Purdue) or
- Current Student at Ivy Tech Community College-Lafayette Campus
(Times and Dates To Be Decided)
- October 18th - Welcome Session- 6:15PM-8PM
- Sunday, October 22nd - Trip to Chicago Shakespeare Theater; Prieto by Yosimar Reyes
- Celebrate Identity
- Study Skills
- Building Relationships
- Semester Wrap-Up
- Career Exploration
- Study Skills Check-In
- Taking Care of Yourself
- Equity and Advocacy
- Finding an Internship
- Building Relationships Part II
- Financial Check-Up
- Semester Wrap-Up
- Avanzando Celebratory Banquet
Established in 2015 through UnidosUS, the nation’s largest Latino civil rights and advocacy organization, Avanzando through College was created to provide support to affiliates serving Latinx college students. Through this culturally relevant college retention program, students spend a year participating in meetings focused on topics such as study skills, public speaking, and relationship-building with their peers, professors, and advisors.
Learn more at https://www.unidosus.org/