What is Horizons Student Support Services?
The mission of Horizons Student Support Services is to assist students in developing academic, social, and personal skills through holistic services including tutoring, faculty mentoring, peer mentoring, career development, academic support, cultural enrichment, and access to global experiences. These initiatives coupled with a sense of belonging will contribute to a well-rounded and successful Purdue University experience.
The vision is to retain and graduate its participants at the highest possible rate with the highest possible grade point average from Purdue University.
Horizons Student Support Services will abide by the Department of Education rules and regulations in managing the program by addressing the following five major need areas of low-income, first generation college students:
- Lack of college readiness
- Improved persistence from year to year
- Maintaining of good academic standing and adequate progress toward graduation
- Increased likelihood of graduation within six years
- Preparation to make appropriate career choices