Section C of the University Code Coordination of University Faculties
C 1.00 Composition, Powers, and Responsibilities of Faculties
The University faculties shall be constituted in accordance with the provisions as set forth in Section A 2.00 and shall have the power and responsibilities as set forth in Section A 4.00 and 4.05, and as these powers and responsibilities are specifically delegated by the Board of Trustees to the faculty at each campus.
C 2.00 Governing Bodies of the Faculties
The governing bodies of the faculties shall be the West Lafayette University Senate, the Fort Wayne Faculty Senate, and the Northwest Faculty Senate. The School of Engineering and Technology faculty and the School of Science faculty at Indiana University-Purdue University at Indianapolis are the governing bodies for their respective faculties.
C 3.00 Composition of the Intercampus Faculty Council
There shall be an Intercampus Faculty Council composed of:
The chairperson and the immediate past chairperson of the University Senate as representatives of the West Lafayette Faculty Senate; two representatives selected by the Purdue members of the Fort Wayne Faculty Senate; two representatives selected by the Northwest Faculty Senate; one member representing the Purdue School of Engineering and Technology at Indianapolis and one member representing the Purdue School of Science at Indianapolis, each selected by the respective faculty governing bodies; the President of the University or his/her designee who shall serve as a co-coordinator of the council; the President of the University shall appoint a faculty co-coordinator who will be rotated annually among the Intercampus Faculty Council representatives; the registrar of the West Lafayette campus; and the secretary of faculties who shall serve as secretary of the council.
C 4.00 Responsibilities of the Council
The Intercampus Faculty Council shall be responsible for coordination of legislative and policy making actions of the various faculty governing bodies.
- The secretary of the Council shall secure from the secretary of each of the several faculty governing bodies copies of its agendas for future meetings, reports, documents, minutes of meetings, and copies of any other such material distributed with agenda or at meetings. The secretary will distribute a copy of each such document to each member of the Council.
- It will be the responsibility of each member of the Council to monitor matters under consideration by each and all of the several faculty governing bodies and to identify those documents which may be of concern to more than one faculty or which may have University-wide concern.
- With respect to a document which is of concern to more than one faculty, the council may take one or more of the following actions:
- It may suggest that the governing body of each faculty consider the matters contained therein and take action at either of its next two meetings
- It may suggest that the president delay implementation for a period not to exceed sixty days in order that the governing bodies of all faculties concerned have had the opportunity to act
- If the governing body of one or more faculties fails to act on a document within a sixty day period and the matter is of urgent concern to one or more of the faculties which have acted upon it, the Council may suggest that the president implement or, if appropriate, place it on the agenda for the next meeting of the Board of Trustees
- If actions taken by two or more of the faculty governing bodies are in conflict, the Council may point out the conflicts and suggest that each governing body reconsider its action at its next meeting
If such a suggestion to reconsider does not resolve the conflict, the Council may then refer the matter to the President for consideration and action.
C 5.00 Meetings of the Council will be called by the co-coordinators, or upon request of one or more members of the Council or upon request of the president of the University.
C 6.00 The Council is expected to develop its own modus operandi in accordance with the provisions of this document.
C 7.00 Amendments to Part II, Section C of the University Code
Amendments to Part II, Section C, shall be in effect when approved by the governing bodies of the University faculties and ratified by the president of the University and the Board of Trustees.