Skip to main content

Conducting Research Outside the United States

Research and engagement conducted abroad often presents unique opportunities and challenges. If your proposed work will take you abroad for extended effort, please contact the Export Controls team for assistance.

What to know

  • Be sure to review the guidance on International Research Collaborations.
  • Whether you take equipment with you or ship equipment separately, you are exporting that equipment and must consider the Export Control Laws.
    • Review the guidance on EAR Temporary License Exceptions to determine if they apply
    • If a License Exception doesn’t apply, or if the equipment you are planning on taking is subject to the ITAR, a license may be required. Contact the Export Controls Team immediately. Note that Export Control Licenses can take 30-90 days or longer, so be sure to initiate this process well in advance of the export.
  • Conducting research in comprehensively sanctioned countries presents greater compliance challenges. Allow for extra review and licensing time.

Need Help?

Contact the Purdue Export Controls team by email at, by phone at (765) 494-6840, or in person on the 10th floor of Young Hall (155 S Grant St.).

Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907 (765) 494-4600

© 2024 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by Office of Research

If you have trouble accessing this page because of a disability, please contact Office of Research at