October 28, 2020
Behavioral health care options available virtually via LiveHealth Online Psychology, Psychiatry
Courtesy of Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, Purdue’s medical plan administrator, LiveHealth Online Psychology and LiveHealth Online Psychiatry provide online access to psychologists and medication management support for common behavioral conditions such as major depressive disorder, anxiety and bipolar disorder.
“Because our behavioral health is just as important as our physical health, Purdue has a variety of mental health resources, tools and options available to the Purdue community,” says Candace Shaffer, senior director of benefits in Human Resources. “And just like with physical health providers and care, there needs to be a variety of mental health options to choose from in order to select the type of care that best meets each individual’s specific needs. One of the options Purdue has available is the complete virtual approach of LiveHealth Online Psychology and LiveHealth Online Psychiatry.”
- LiveHealth Online Psychology -- LiveHealth Online psychologists/therapists provide talk therapy and do not diagnose patients or write prescriptions. Dependents age 10 to 17 who are covered on a Purdue health plan also can use LiveHealth Online Psychology for therapy visits. For more information, view these short videos:
- LiveHealth Online Psychiatry -- LiveHealth Online psychiatrists can prescribe medication or help manage any medication individuals might be taking for a behavioral health condition. See the PDF file for LiveHealth Online Psychiatry for more details. Additionally, for more information, view these short videos:
LiveHealth Online visits are a covered benefit under all of Purdue’s health plans, and the therapists, psychologists and psychiatrists are in-network providers.
For more information on LiveHealth Online mental health options, visit the “See a licensed therapist, psychologist or psychiatrist” webpage.
Any questions regarding benefits coverage and/or mental health resources available to faculty, staff and dependents, can be directed to Human Resources at email@example.com, HRHelp (secure email) or by phone at 765-494-2222 or toll-free at 877-725-0222.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION REGARDING MENTAL HEALTH
Faculty and staff resources
As one of the five pillars of the Healthy Boiler Program, behavioral health plays a key role in overall employee well-being. Referred to by many names – behavioral health, mental health, emotional well-being and more -- one thing is certain, it’s important, and resources are available to faculty, staff and students at Purdue.
- A recent email -- Mental Health Impacts Overall Health -- provides a quick look at a variety of resources.
- The Mental Health Resources webpage also offers a list of resources offered via Purdue and the community.
To assist students
Faculty and staff who work with students or have a student at home can direct students to the resources below for behavioral health assistance. Note: LiveHealth Online Psychology and LiveHealth Online Psychiatry services are available to Purdue students who are covered on a Purdue Health Plan. Mental health visits through LiveHealth Online are covered at 100 percent on the Purdue student health plan.
- Continuous Network of Support
- Services and information
- Presentations and trainings
- Student of Concern reporting link
- Therapy Services at CAPS
- Self-help resources
- Group therapy
- CAPS YouTube channel
- NAMI On Campus – A free, virtual support group on campus.
- Thriving Campus – Service that provides students a way to search for mental health providers in many areas, locally and across the country.
- WellTrack – Interactive, self-help therapy app.