Most temporary appointments are hired through a staffing company. The SuccessFactors direct hire process would only be used if the candidate/potential employee is already known and the working hours do not exceed 1,000 in a 12-month period. Please contact email@example.com for further guidance.
Temporary staff may work up to, but not exceed, 1,000 hours in a 12-month period. All departments assume the responsibility for hiring temporary staff and monitoring their hours. For restrictions on temporary staffing, please refer to the Temporary Appointment Standard. For questions concerning the temporary standard or the administration of temporary staff, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Third Party TemporariesIt is a best practice to use a staffing company when the temporary position will have a workload greater than 1,000 hours in a 12-month period. Please review the standard to understand all restrictions. Purdue University has contracts with two staffing companies:
Dining, CateringOlsten Staffing Solutions ,
Cortney Kerst, Sr. Delivery Recruiter
Clerical, Medical, IT and all industries except Dining & CateringKnowledge Services
Purdue Direct Hire TemporariesIt is a best practice to use a staffing company when the temporary position will have a workload greater than 1,000 hours in a 12-month period. Please review the standard to understand all restrictions. Student hires are not labeled with temporary hires, they follow the student hire process. Temporary appointments directly hired through SuccessFactors should follow the Quick Hire Process.
Temporary Staffing and Third-Party Employer FAQs
No, departments are able to directly hire students. Effective Jan. 1, 2019, there will be a central resource for posting student positions. Please visit purdue.edu/successfactors to learn more about the new hiring tool.What is the difference between a pay rate and a bill rate?The pay rate is the compensation received by the temporary staff placement for services rendered. The bill rate is the amount invoiced to Purdue for the temporary staff. Included in the bill rate are the temporary hours worked, statutory costs (taxes, workers’ compensation), and marketing services if the position was recruited, and employee administrative fee.
- I have been notified that I need to transition my temporary staff to a third-party employer. What do I need to do?
As direct hire temporary staff reach 1,000 hours, Department Managers must separate the direct-hire temporary from Purdue and determine the appropriate action required to comply with the Temporary Appointment Standard. Managers should complete the following reviews.
- Is the support still required? Can you allocate the work among current staff? If so, you must only coordinate the separation of the position from SuccessFactors with the assigned Business Office and Human Resource contacts.
- Is it possible to replace the temporary staff with a student employee? Student employment is less expensive than outside staffing firms are, enhances student experience and supports student affordability objectives through student professional employment.
- Has the support turned into a regular benefits eligible position? Do you have a budgeted open position available that could be utilized? Coordinate with the assigned Business Office and Human Resources contacts.
- Transition current temporary staff to appropriate third-party employer. This alternative will increase your expenses. For detailed information on the bill rate (invoice rate), contact the appropriate third party employer and provide the pay (compensation) rate to be provided to the temporary staff for services rendered.
- How do I transition the individual to third-party employment?
Contact the appropriate third-party employer; they will coordinate the onboarding process with the selected individual. You will complete the request process and notify the selected individual to expect a call or email from the third party employer’s employee relations team. The individual cannot provide services without the third-party employer on boarding process being completed. In the event that work is completed before the on boarding is completed, there will not be a mechanism to pay the individual.
- My student worker will be graduating soon and will continue in the position after graduating. What do I need to do so they can continue in this position?
Contact the appropriate third-party employer to acquire the bill rate (invoice rate) to be used to budget for the position. The department will provide the pay rate (compensation rate).If the department decides to proceed with placing the individual, follow the instructions provided by the appropriate industry third-party employer
- I would like to convert the third-party employed individual to a Purdue full-time benefit-eligible position. How can I do this?
Coordinate the transition with the third-party employer and the assigned Purdue Human Resources contact.
- How do I transition a Direct Hire Temp to the Employer of Record (EOR) program with Knowledge Services?