Human Resources Mission, Vision, and Strategic Goals For You

Prospective Employees

Prospective Employees visiting campus to interview for a position may be reimbursed for some of the trip's associated expenses. Prior approval to reimburse these expenses is obtained by processing a Form 17C, Request for Approval for Reimbursement of Expenses for Prospective Employee Interview Trips.

Form 17C (Excel Worksheet)

Instructions for Form 17C

Unless specifically listed below, expenses for prospective employees are reimbursed under the regulations governing normal employee reimbursements. The following are some specific guidelines for eligible expenses:

  1. Transportation costs:
    • Airfare at coach rates.
      • Original receipts are required.
    • Personal auto mileage will be reimbursed per Purdue Travel Policy.
  2. Subsistence / Per Diem:
    • Travel subsistence for prospective employees will be reimbursed at actual up to the CONUS (Continental United States) federal rates. This includes travel inside the State of Indiana.
      • Original meal receipts are required.
  3. Lodging:
    • Lodging is reimbursed at the single room rate.
      • Original receipts are required.
  4.  Receipts:
    • Receipts are required for expenses incurred by prospective employees or students.

Travel expenses for dependents of prospective employees who are finalists for positions are allowable from University funds, including general, gift and auxiliary funds. A finalist is defined as someone who has been extended an offer or who has been notified that an offer will be made.

  • Dependent expenses will be administered under the following guidelines and will not affect the current policy that provides for the reimbursement of expenses for prospective employees from University funds.
  • Dependent expenses will only be reimbursable for position finalists.
  • Dependents are defined as spouses, children and step-children.
  • Dependent expenses are subject to reporting on Form W-2 or Form 1099
  • Dependent expenses are subject to the same guidelines established for prospective employees.
  • Reimbursement of dependent expenses will require the approval of the respective vice president, vice-chancellor or dean.

Approval of the dependent's expenses should be requested on a Form 17C, Request for Approval for Reimbursement of Expenses for Prospective Employee Interview Trips. To meet tax reporting needs, the Form 17C will identify the dependents' expenses separately from those of the prospective employee.

Graduate Student

Prospective graduate students (and their spouses) may be reimbursed for allowable travel expenses under the same guidelines as prospective employees.

Graduate spouse expenses are reimbursable in accordance with normal travel reimbursement regulations (See Prospective Employees). Travel expenses for prospective graduate students are pre-approved in academic areas using a From 17C. Departments and schools may also prepare an annual estimate of prospective graduate student travel expenses for approval by the Dean instead of preparing individual Form 17Cs. This memo generally consists of the following information.

  1. The estimated number of graduate students to visit the department and be reimbursed by the university.
  2. The estimated travel expenses per graduate student for each visit.

When reimbursement is requested, Form 17C with actual expenses indicated and a copy of the approval memo or estimated expenses on Form 17C is sent to initiate payment with the respective Procurement Center. Appropriate receipts for allowable expenses should also be attached. Expenses are chargeable to general funds, industrial or gift funds under normal guidelines. Recruitment expenses charged to sponsored project funds are allowable if the recruitment is for a specific position on the project. See your business office for further information. 

Send request for reimbursement, fully approved Form 17C, and receipts to respective Procurement Centers for processing as a ZV60.