1st Generation: INhome – Solar Decathlon Competition (2009-2011)
- A team of Purdue University students competed in the United States Department of Energy's Solar Decathlon, a high profile international competition where 20 collegiate teams design, build, and demonstrate solar powered houses.
- The INhome finished in 2nd place overall during the competition, which consisted of 10 individual contests: architecture, market appeal, engineering, communications, affordability, comfort zone, hot water, appliances, home entertainment, and energy.
- The research combines three different areas into one project: Mechanical Engineering, Horticulture and Biochemistry. It was the combination of perspectives that allowed the Biowall to come to life.
- An environmental chamber was used to make precise measurements of air temperature, air humidity, VOC content and energy consumption. Various lighting levels, plant species and watering strategies were tested to optimize Biowall performance.
Next Generation: ReNEWW House
- Whirlpool Corporation, along with Purdue University, transformed an existing home near Purdue’s campus into a world-class research laboratory and sustainable living showcase called the ReNEWW house.
- Purdue researchers installed the Biowall in the ReNEWW house to monitor the performance of the biofilter, the health of the plants present and comfort of residents.
- The Purdue community is committed to changing how we work and live. We strongly believe that universities must not only carry out research, but also translate the findings of that research into action.
- Student engagement programs are focused on using our campus facilities to nurture ideas from young adults and help them apply into the real world.
- Discovery Park Undergraduate Initiative (DURI)
- Summer Camps
- Research Team
- To know more about the findings of our research team, check their published papers:
- Biowall for Improved IAQ in Residences
- Air cleaning performance of a biowall for residential applications
- Energy modeling of a botanical air filter in energy efficient residences
- Energy modeling of a botanical air filter
- Biowall: A Sustainable Approach to Indoor Air Quality
- Indoor air quality (IAQ) improvements using biofiltration in a highly efficient residential home
- Biofiltration in a Highly Efficient Residential Home