ReNEWW stands for Retrofit Net-zero: Energy, Water, and Waste. The house helps researchers develop the next generation of high performance home.
Ultra-high efficiency appliances that increase core performance while lowering their impact on the environment and cost to operate are one research focus.
- Whirlpool Corporation, along with Purdue University, transformed an existing home near Purdue’s campus into a world-class research laboratory and sustainable living showcase called the ReNEWW house.
- For more information on the ReNEWW house, visit the website: http://renewwhouse.com
Biowall In the ReNEWW House
- Purdue researchers installed the Biowall in the ReNEWW house to monitor the performance of the biofilter, the health of the plants present and comfort of residents.
- The installation, finished during the summer of 2016, was successful. Testing is underway to evaluate the Biowall aesthetics and impact on IAQ.
- To minimize the resident maintenance of the Biowall and assist with ongoing research, a web-based building automation system controls the watering, lights and fan operation.