Undergraduate Degree Seeking Students

Notification of Intent (NOI) Instructions

All degree seeking international students are required to complete their Notification of Intent (NOI) with ISS. In order to determine if you will need an I-20 or DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility form to obtain a student visa, you must complete your Notification of Intent (NOI).

Please follow these instructions to access your NOI:

    1. Log into MyISS (Multi-factor authentication Required)
    2. Under the section labeled “Current Students, Faculty, or Staff – Click the “Login” button
    3. Enter your Purdue career account and password to log in to myISS
    4. On the left hand side, click “Pre-Arrival and Orientation”
    5. Then click “Notification of Intent”
    6. You must complete all the required forms that are included in the Notification of Intent (NOI)

You must complete all information on your NOI, and upload the required documents in order for us to begin processing your I-20 or DS-2019. We encourage you to save your information frequently. Prior to submitting each form, you may save your form and log out of the NOI, and then later return to the form to add more information or to upload additional documents.

You will be contacted by our office within 15 business days after we receive your completed NOI. If you are unable to upload the required documents, you must express mail these documents to our ISS Office. We cannot produce your COE until we have all required documents and personal information requested for yourself and any dependents (spouse or children) who will travel to Purdue University with you.

Again congratulations on your acceptance to Purdue University. We look forward to welcoming you to campus. If you need further assistance please submit myISS>General Services>Ask Student Counselor 

**Important Note: If you are unable to attend the semester that you have been admitted for and wish to update your application to be considered for a future term, you must complete the application change form. The change form does not guarantee admissions for the new term. Please contact International Undergraduate Admissions at 765-494-0380 or via email at intl-admissions@purdue.edu . Please notify ISS about your deferral plans by submitting an Ask Student Counselor via myISS> General Services> Ask Student Counselor 

NOI: Frequently Asked Questions
I don't know my Purdue Career Account

All new students receive instructions on how to activate their Purdue Career Account in their acceptance packet. To learn more about how to activate your account, please visit Information Technology at Purdue (ITaP)

I do not remember my password

If you enter the wrong password when trying to login, you will receive an "authentication failed" message. You were required to set-up password challenge questions for your Purdue Career Account. To learn about password tips or for assistance, please visit Information Technology at Purdue (ITaP)

I do not have a scanner

If you do not have access to a scanner to save your documents as .PDF or .JPEG format files, you can use any mobile device to take pictures of the documents that need to be uploaded. When taking a picture, please make sure the image is clear and all information is readable. Blurry images will not be accepted

MyISS only shows option to "Request Dept Access"

If MyISS only shows this eform option, it means that you are attempting to log into MyISS before it has received your admission record from MyPurdue. Please wait until MyISS emails your Purdue University email address before logging into MyISS.

If MyISS only gives you this eform option, please log out of MyISS and check your Purdue University email for MyISS notification to complete the NOI.

What type of financials are acceptable as proof of funding evidence?

Only liquid asset accounts are acceptable because they can be readily converted to cash. The document must be in English or must be accompanied by an official English translation. The document must contain a date and the date may not be more than one year old from the date it is received. Also, the named account holder must be the student, or the sponsor (family member or other sponsor), or sponsoring organization (employer, scholarship, government, etc). Please upload your all of your financials in one PDF file.

Acceptable Accounts Non-Acceptable Accounts
Checking Retirement funds
Savings Real Estate documents
Money Market Income Tax documents
Certificate of deposit with maturity date Salary/Earnings statements
Scholarship award letters- Must clearly state what it's included Credit card available credit statements
Student loan commitment- Must show student is approved and should not indicate any other special condition Statements verifying employment and salary (unless university employee sponsorship(
Government sponsorship- Must include award amount and description of coverage Life insurance premiums (unless cash value available by start of the semester)


I am still having issues with the myISS portal

If you are unable to log in to the myISS portal, and you are sure the problem is not associated with your Purdue Career Account, please try opening myISS in another web browser (for example if you are using Internet Explorer, try using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox). Occasionally, you will have problems if your computer is set to cache information or stores passwords, favorites, and cookies. We recommend that you clear your Temporary Internet Files and/or cookies and favorites and then try again.

If you are still having issues, please Contact Student Services | ISS (purdue.edu)

Steps for Obtaining a U.S. Visa

In order to make your visa appointment for your F-1 or J-1 visa, you must first have your Certificate of Eligibility I-20 or DS-2019 document from Purdue University or another issuing agency (such as Fulbright, USAID, LASPAU, etc).  Once you have the I-20 or DS-2019 in your hand then you can make your visa appointment.

Advanced travel planning is very important. You can learn about visa appointment and processing times by searching the US Embassy/Consulate city where you plan to apply at the U.S. Department of State- Bureau of Consular Affairs


STEP ONE: Make visa appointment early

After you receive your I-20 or DS-2019, follow the U.S. Embassy/Consulate instructions for your visa appointment request. 

Form DS-160* (Make sure the U.S. Embassy/Consulate you will attend has transitioned to this online form. If not, follow the instructions on the U.S. Embassy/Consulate’s website.)

  • DS-160 US Contact question- you may use the following information for this section: 

Name: ISS staff person listed on your I-20/DS-2019

Phone: 765-494-5770 (General ISS phone number)

Email Address: iss@purdue.edu (Use this ISS general email for the application only. If you have questions, please submit MyISS>General Services>Ask Student Counselor)

School Address:

  • Those admitted to West Lafayette location use 610 Purdue Mall, West Lafayette, IN 47907
  • Those admitted to Indianapolis location use 799 W Michigan St, Indianapolis, IN 46202

US Address: If you don’t yet know where you will live, you can use the school address listed above.

Locate a local US Embassy or Consulate website (usembassy.gov) to schedule your visa interview appointment. Apply as far in advance as possible.


PRIOR to going for your visa appointment, you must pay the I-901 SEVIS fee. For the amount and for answers to common questions, please review I-901 SEVIS Fee | USCIS (ice.gov)

  • Listed here are reasons you would not pay this fee.
    • Students who have already been inside the US and have transferred their SEVIS record to Purdue University and received a "transfer pending" document do not have to pay the fee again as long as they have been maintaining their status
    • Dependents do not also have to pay this fee! 
  • Using your I-20 or DS-2019, go the I-901 Fee (fmjfee.com) and using the information from your document, you will pay the fee online
    • Fill in your name exactly as it appears on your I-20 or DS-2019.

    • For F-1 applicants: School code is located in the School Information section of your I-20

    • For J-1 applicants: Purdue’s "Program Number" is: P-1-00622.

  • Be sure to print out the receipt! 

STEP THREE: Pay Visa Application Fee

Follow the instructions found on the U.S. Embassy/Consulate website: Locate your local US embassy or consulate website (usembassy.gov).


STEP FOUR: Gather Documents for Visa Interview

  • A passport valid for at least six months into the future
  • I-20 or DS-2019 (Be sure to sign/date with wet signature your document)
  • Purdue admission letter
  • SEVIS fee receipt
  • Visa application fee receipt
  • Confirmation page from your DS-160 visa application
  • Two 2"x 2" photographs in the prescribed format on website
  • Original bank statements or Purdue funding letter showing sufficient funds to cover your expenses as listed on I-20 or DS-2019
  • Documents that prove you will return to your home country after finishing your studies in the U.S. These may include proof of property, family, or other ties to your community.
  • Any additional documents that might be requested, such as transcripts or test scores
  • Confirm with appropriate U.S. Embassy/Consulate that you have prepared all required documents

Step FIVE: Prepare for Visa Interview

  • Interview generally lasts only 2-3 minutes.
  • Under U.S. law, all nonimmigrant visa applicants are viewed as intended immigrants unless they convince the Consular Officer otherwise. You must show your reasons for returning to your home country following your studies.
  • Be prepared to use English and speak for yourself.
  • Answer all of the Officer’s questions concisely and honestly.
  • Be able to explain how studying in the U.S. relates to your future career plans.
  • Know that lengthy supplemental documents cannot be quickly read or evaluated.
  • People from certain countries and those studying certain technology majors may experience processing delays due to potential administrative processing requirements.
  • Remember that the purpose of a student visa is to study and return home, not to work in the U.S.
  • Be prepared to address how your dependents, if any, will support themselves in your absence.
  • Keep a positive attitude. If denied, understand the reason why and what to do the next time.

 STEP SIX: Attend Visa Interview

Arrive early; remain calm!

Traveling to Purdue University

Purdue University in West Lafayette:

Making your way to West Lafayette and the Purdue campus is easiest from Chicago, Illinois airport (ORD) or from Indianapolis, Indiana airport (IND)

For information about travel services, lodging, driving and parking for the Purdue University West Lafayette campus, please review Make Travel Plans | Admissions (purdue.edu) 

Purdue University in Indianapolis:

Making your way to West Lafayette and the Purdue campus is easiest from Indianapolis International Airport (IND), not Chicago, Illinois. 

For information about transportation options, please visit Indianapolis International Airport Transportation & Car Rental information page 

Purdue University Health Insurance Requirements

ALL international students registered for classes at Purdue University must purchase the Purdue sponsored health insurance plan unless they qualify for a waiver. 

  • Purchase of the University sponsored health insurance plan is MANDATORY except for those students who qualify for a waiver. See the PUSH website for waiver eligibility and instructions. 
  • Insurance is purchased directly through Academic Health Plans (AHP) and is not billed with tuition, nor can it be billed to a third party.
  • Graduate students who hold a half-time (20 hours) graduate staff appointment (assistantship) will enroll for their health insurance plan AFTER arrival at Purdue University while attending payroll orientation 
  • For more information, visit www.purdue.edu/push and look under the Insurance tab.

Immunization History Form                 

  • Indiana state law requires all new students to be immunized against Rubeola, Rubella, Mumps, Diptheria, Tetanus and Meningitis B. Evidence of immunization or immunity may be documented by completion of the Purdue Immunization History Form located under the forms tab in the Patient Portal found at myhealth.push.purdue.edu
  • All international students are required to have a tuberculosis test done AFTER arrival in the US.
  • Students should purchase the insurance plan before receiving any needed vaccinations (Tdap and/or MMR) or the mandatory TB test to have the cost considered by the insurance.
  • For more information, visit http://www.purdue.edu/push/Immunization/index.html.

 Enrollment Instructions:

  • Please see PUSH's website for specific instructions per student category; domestic, International and Grad Staff
How to Pay Your Purdue Tuition Bill

Purdue University West Lafayette Campus:

Please visit the Office of the Bursar for ways to Pay Tutiion and Fees

For more information regarding student billing accounts, please contact the Office of the Bursar at 765-494-7570 or email at askbursar@purdue.edu 

Information on U.S. Benefits and Laws

It is extremely important to learn about Purdue emergency resources and U.S. laws which may impact you while studying in the U.S. It is your responsibility to abide in all U.S. Laws.

Failure to do so may cause you to:

  • violation of F-1/J-1 status
  • lose your eligibility to study and work in the U.S.
  • expelled from Purdue
  • ineligible to re-enter the U.S. 

If you are charged with anything do not just plead guilty, consult with a licensed attorney knowledgeable in both immigration and criminal law. 

*Information about free student legal services can be found under the Purdue University Student Legal Services

 Alcoholic Beverage Consumption

 You must be 21 years old to purchase or consume alcohol in the United States

  • Operating a motor vehicle with a legal blood alcohol content in excess of 0.08% is against the law. (Indiana Code 9-30-5)
  • A driver under the age of 21 can receive a citation for Driving While Intoxicated (DUI) for a blood alcohol level of 0.02% 
  • Alcohol cannot be purchased for carry out on Sunday in the State of Indiana, except at wineries, microbreweries and distilleries. 
  • Indiana has an "open container law" which prohibits the presence of an unsealed container containing alcohol, including empty containers, inside a motor vehicle (Indiana Code 9-30-15-3). Unsealed or empty containers of alcohol must be stored in the trunk of the vehicle or a fixed compartment that is locked. 

State law prohibits possession of alcoholic beverages by persons under 21 years old. The law also prohibits persons 21 or older from providing alcoholic beverages to minors. A person misrepresenting his or her age to obtain alcoholic beverages is in violation of the law. With a few exceptions, such as married student apartments, Union Club guest rooms, resident rooms in graduate houses, and in other areas designated by the University under the supervision of the Purdue Memorial Union, possession of alcoholic beverages on the Purdue Campus is prohibited. Violators of drug and alcohol policies are subject to the provisions of applicable state and federal laws as well as University disciplinary actions.

Purdue’s drug and alcohol policy—Executive Memorandum No. C - 44—is published and distributed annually to students and employees. Consult this policy for detailed information. Assistance for both students and employees is available through University counseling programs. Personal counseling and referral are provided for students and their spouses through Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS).

Visit the Purdue Alcohol Awareness Web site.

Computer Related Crimes

Computer-related crime, like any other crime, should be reported to the Purdue Police Department or to other appropriate law enforcement authorities.

The types of crime committed by computer include stalking, harassment, threats of personal harm, computer intrusion (hacking), password trafficking, copyright piracy, theft of trade secrets, child pornography or exploitation, fraud, and bomb threats – to name just a few.

Please do your part in protecting yourself as well as computer information and equipment that belongs to you or to Purdue University.

  • Use, protect, and change passwords.
  • Secure rooms, offices, and computer laboratories that are unattended.
  • Report crimes, security weaknesses, and suspicious activity to the Purdue Police Department as soon as possible.
  • Don't destroy or alter threatening, harassing, suspicious, or upsetting e-mails or other information received by computer until you make a police report.

Source: Purdue Police Department

Other Common Laws

Violation of U.S. Local, State and/or Federal laws can lead to expensive fines, suspension or expulsion from Purdue University, termination of your lawful status in the U.S., jail or prison time, protective orders, and other serious penalties including deportation from the United States and/or being barred from entering the United States in the future.  A few examples of these laws are below, however this list should not be considered an exhaustive list and in the United States, you can be convicted of a violation of a criminal or civil offense even if you didn't know the law existed.

  • Domestic Violence: Can include anything from harassment, criminal trespassing, battery, or kidnapping, to criminal confinement.
  • Illicit Drugs: Indiana state law and University regulations prohibit the use, possession, or distribution of narcotics or controlled substances without a valid prescription. This includes but is not limited to Ecstasy (MDMA), cocaine, hallucinogens, amphetamines, rohypnol, heroin, PCP, steroids, and marijuana.
  • Physical Violence: Deliberately causing physical harm to another person by using physical force.
  • Sexual Harassment: Can include, but not limited to, unwelcome requests for sexual favors, verbal/physical harassment of sexual nature as well as unwanted sexual advances toward another person. 
  • Theft: Taking another person's belongings without their consent.

*If you are arrested, cited, or warranted for anything, we do not recommend that you plead guilty before consulting with a licensed attorney knowledgeable in both immigration and criminal or civil law.   The paying of a fine is considered to be an acknowledgement of guilt. 

Identity Theft/Scams 

The ISS Office frequently hears from students about Scam phone calls, emails they receive from individuals pretending to be official agencies and who are asking for personal information from the student.  Please keep in mind, Authentic agencies in the United States will NEVER call you and ask you for personal information or demand that you make a payment "right now" in order to protect your legal status, etc.  Please visit the following official government website maintained by our Federal Trade Commission for helpful tips and alerts intended to help you protect yourself and your personal information:  Consumer Protection 

Also, a very important reminder: all official government websites in the United States end in .gov  For example, if you are looking for the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service website, be sure you visit uscis.gov NOT.com, .biz, .org, .net or any other .extension 

Driving in the U.S.

The Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicle (BMV) is the state government agency responsible for regulating vehicles and licensing drivers. This is the bureau where you can apply for a driver’s license, driver’s permit, or Indiana state ID card.

If you have a valid, unexpired home country driver's license AND an official international driving permit: you are permitted to drive within the US for one uear with these documents and you must carry both documents while you are driving

If you have only a valid unexpired home country driver's livense but NO international driving permit: you must apply for a driver's license in Indiana if you will be driving here for more than 30 days. Follow the instructions below for “Obtaining your Indiana Driver’s License”.

If you have no driver's license from your home country: you will first need to obtain a learner's permit from the BMV. 

Please visit Indiana BMV website to learn How to Obtain a Driver's License 

Find the closest BMV Branch Location and Hours  


Special Note: The International Students & Scholars office highly recommends that you do not apply for your driver's license until the second week of classes for all new students. Students must have completed their Virtual Mandatory International Student Check-in (vMISCi) and be registered in the SEVIS system before applying for benefits such as a driving license in the United States. 

For additional Government Resources visit ISS website

Social Security Eligibility and Application Process

If you have employment in the United States, you will need to apply for a Social Security number. Only students with employment offer (graduate assistantship, teaching assistantship, research assistantship, or any other on-campus employment, including approved CPT) will be eligible to apply for SSN. You must be inside the US under your F-1/J-1 status to qualify to apply for your SSN under your employment offer.

To obtain a signature from our office as part of your SSN application, please visit our Social Security Number Application section under Government Resources page

Social Security Administration Lafayette Office:
10 South 2nd Street, Lafayette, IN 47901
Social Security Administration Indianapolis Office:
575 N Pennsylvania Street, Room 685
Indianapolis, IN 46202
To find other SSA locations, please visit the Social Security Administration website
Purdue Emergency Information and Resources

Emergency Call- 911

Dial 911 only in situation that requires immediate assistance from police, fire department of ambulance 


Non-Emergency Calls

Purdue Police

Phone: (765) 494-8221


Purdue Fire

Phone: (765) 494-6919


Purdue Safewalk: A very important resource from the Purdue Police Department is Safewalk. SAFE-WALK is run by the Purdue Student Security Patrol (PSSP) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and is a free service. If you are studying late on campus do not hesitate to call for a SAFEWALK back to your campus residence or from your residence to campus. If PSSP is not on-duty then an officer will assist. You can request a SAFEWALK by calling 494-SAFE (7233) or 494-8221. Remember there is always safety in numbers. If you choose not to call for a SAFEWALK, please call a friend to walk with you or pick you up. The Safewalk information can also be found on the back of your Purdue ID Card.

Purdue Alert- Emergency Warning Notification System:  Purdue Alert is the University's emergency warning notification system which informs students, faculty, and staff of imminent danger directly to their cell phone. 

Step 1: Go to Secure Purdue 

Step 2: Click on "Change my emergency contact number"

Step 3: Enter your Purdue career account information

Step 4: Register

- Enter your phone number

- Select "Activate emergency texts now"

- Click "Save" 

Dependents (F-2/J-2) Maintaining Status Information

It is extremely important to be aware of the regulations that affect your F-1 or J-1 status, and also your dependents F-2 and J-2 status. The information below provides information that your dependents need to know to avoid a violation of their dependent status:

 F-2 Dependent Maintaining Status

  • Immigration documents must be properly maintained 
  • Travel signature is required for dependents when re-entering the U.S. after traveling abroad. Keep a valid travel signature.
  • Spouse and unmarried minor children with F-2 visas may engage in post-secondary studies at a SEVIS approved institution as long as they are enrolled in less than a full course of study. Full time enrollment by an F-2 dependent is considered to be a violation of status. Studies can be both avocational and recreational in nature
  • F-2 dependents are not permitted to work in the U.S. under any circumstances. It is a violation of the US Department of Labor's Fair Labor Standards Act for any F-2 dependent to volunteer in any capacity that directly benefits Purdue University or another employer
  • F-2 dependents are not eligible to apply for a Social Security Number since they are not eligible for employment in the U.S.

J-2 Dependent Regulations

  • J-2 dependents may engage in full-time and part-time at any SEVIS approved institution
  • J-2 dependents may apply for work authorization with US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). If granted, J-2 may be employed by any U.S. based employer.
  • It is a violation of the US Department of Labor's Fair Labor Standards Act for any J-2 dependent to volunteer in any capacity that directly benefits Purdue University or another employer, even if employment authorized

Please contact the ISS office with any questions you may have with respect to your status or the status of any of your dependents. You may submit your inquiry via myISS> General Services> Ask Student Counselor