May 10, 2018
Convocation recognizes faculty for honors, awards, teaching excellence
Faculty members were recognized Tuesday (May 8) at the Faculty Awards Convocation for a range of faculty honors given since last year's event, including national and international awards; University and college awards; Fellow awards; and distinguished and named professorships achieved since April 2017.
A full list of the national and international awards and college awards is available here. The awards are listed by the categories of teaching, research and scholarship, leadership and engagement.
The following University awards were recognized:
* 2018 Charles B. Murphy Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Awards: Henry Chang, Biological Sciences; Mark French, Engineering Technology; Mark Lipton, Chemistry; Haley Oliver, Food Science; John Sundquist, Languages and Cultures.
* 2018 Exceptional Early Career teaching awards: Michael Mashtare, Agronomy/Environmental and Ecological Engineering; Becky Walters, Nursing.
* 2018 Excellence in Digital Education awards: Mark Mabrito, English, credit course; Bruce Erickson, Agronomy, non-credit course; William Watson, Curriculum and Instruction, innovative course design and use of technology.
* 2017-18 Teaching for Tomorrow Fellowship Awards: Senior fellows: Patricia Darbishire, Pharmacy Practice; Karen Foli, Nursing; Larry Nies, Civil Engineering/Environmental and Ecological Engineering. Junior fellows: Jessica Ellis, Nutrition Science; Carolin Frueh, Aeronautics and Astronautics; Rajamani Gounder, Chemical Engineering; S. Selcen Guzey, Curriculum and Instruction; Alex Isaacs, Pharmacy Practice; Emily Israel, Pharmacy Practice; Matthew Lanham, Management; Michael Mashtare, Agronomy/Environmental and Ecological Engineering; Jianguo Mei, Chemistry; Monica Miller, Pharmacy Practice; Ellen Schellhase, Pharmacy Practice; Mathew Tantama, Chemistry; Becky Walters, Nursing; Zach Weber, Pharmacy Practice; Kejie Zhao, Mechanical Engineering.
* Arden L. Bement Jr. Award: Mikhail Atallah, Computer Science.
* Herbert Newby McCoy Award: Jean Chmielewski, Chemistry.
* Lu Ann Aday Award: Michelle Buzon, Anthropology.
* Clifford Kinley Trust Award: Jean Beaman, Sociology; Blake Jones, Human Development and Family Studies; A.J. Schwichtenberg, Human Development and Family Studies.
* Sigma Xi Mid-Career Award: Jennifer Freeman, Health Sciences.
* Sigma Xi Senior Faculty Award: Stephen Konieczny, Biological Sciences.
* Big Ten Academic Alliance Academic Leadership Program Fellows: Greg Buzzard, Mathematics; Barbara Golden, Biochemistry; Dimitrios Peroulis, Electrical and Computer Engineering; Susan Swithers, Psychological Sciences; Jennifer William, Languages and Cultures.
* Morrill Awards: Stephen Byrn, Industrial and Physical Pharmacy; Larry Murdock, Entomology.
* University Faculty Scholars: Ximena Arriaga, Psychological Sciences; Eric Dietz, Computer and Informational Technology; Zhang Haiyan, Engineering Technology; Todd Kelley, Technology Leadership and Innovation; Fabrice Lumineau, Management.
* Showalter Faculty Scholars: Regan Bailey, Nutrition Science; Jason Cannon, Health Sciences; Kee-Hong Kim, Food Science.
* Provost Fellows: Joan Fulton, Agricultural Economics; Nancy Peterson, English; Renee Thomas, Black Cultural Center.
Named professors (appointed after April 2017) recognized:
Jeffrey Dukes, Belcher Chair for Environmental Sustainability
Valerie Knopik, Ben and Maxine Miller Professor of Human Development and Family Studies
Seungjin Kim, Capt. James McCarthy Jr. and Cheryl E. McCarthy Head of the School of Nuclear Engineering
Patrick Wolfe, Frederick L. Hovde Dean of Science and Miller Family Professor of Statistics
Mung Chiang, John A. Edwardson Dean of Engineering and Roscoe H. George Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Donna Riley, Kamyar Haghighi Head of the School of Engineering Education
Luciano Castillo, Kenninger Professor of Renewable Energy and Power Systems
Darcy Bullock, Lyles Family Professor in the Lyles School of Civil Engineering
Pedro Irazoqui, Reilly Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Doug Schmitt, Stephen and Karen Brand Endowed Chair
Erica Carlson, 150th Anniversary Professor of Physics and Astronomy
David Eichinger, 150th Anniversary Professor of Curriculum and Instruction
Chris Hrycyna, 150th Anniversary Professor of Chemistry
Chuck Krousgrill, 150th Anniversary Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Suzanne Nielsen, 150th Anniversary Professor of Food Science
Bill Oakes, 150th Anniversary Professor of Engineering Education
Christian Oseto, 150th Anniversary Professor of Entomology
Randy Roberts, 150th Anniversary Professor of History
David Rollock, 150th Anniversary Professor of Psychological Sciences
Kathy Salisbury, 150th Anniversary Professor of Veterinary Clinical Sciences
Distinguished professors (appointed after April 2017) recognized:
Jayson Lusk, Distinguished Professor of Agricultural Economics
Weng Chew, Distinguished Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Carol Post, Distinguished Professor of Medicinal Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology
Michele Forman, Distinguished Professor of Nutrition Science
Laura Pyrak-Nolte, Distinguished Professor of Physics and Astronomy
Phillip Sanger, Distinguished Professor of Polytechnic Institute
Kipling Williams, Distinguished Professor of Psychological Sciences
Writer: Kelsey Schnieders Lefever, email@example.com