Link to Purdue Surplus HomeLink to Purdue Home



Purdue University
Warehouse & Surplus Store

3601 Sagamore Pkwy North
Suite K, N. 9th St.
Lafayette, Ind. 47904

(765) 742-4414
(888) 518-9789

(765) 742-6686

Accepted Payment Methods:
Check, Cash, Debit, and

discover card logo mastercard logo visa card logo


How to Dispose of Departmental Purdue Property

When a University Department decides they no longer have use for a single or multiple items,
all Purdue owned property must follow the disposal procedure. 

Disposal Procedure:

• Identify surplus equipment to be disposed
• Determine the condition of items.

Items Conditions:

Excellent Items that are in new/like new condition
Good Items that show slight wear, useable
(ex. Item can be used immediately)
Fair Items that are useable with minor adjustments, minor wear
(ex. Desk that needs knobs, computer needs graphic board)
Poor Items that are useable with major adjustments, major wear
(ex. Chair with torn fabric on seat)
Junk Items that are broken, non-working, and or in pieces

Items in Excellent, Good, and Fair are to be advertised for 14 calendar days. 
Items in Poor and Junk condition do not need to be advertised

Advertising – complete form on advertising website, after 14 days complete an ECS form,
obtain approval signatures, attach a copy of the advertisement and send the form to Property Accounting.

• If item is sold or transferred– complete an ECS form marking #4 and fill in all requested
information for transfer of equipment. 

• If funds are to be transferred –

  • Capital Asset - Capital is identified with a Purdue Inventory Tag or original acquisition cost greater than $5000.   The business office will need to prepare a Form CAF-Change of Asset Funding Source using G/L 539850 – Capital Recharge, which will need to be submitted with the Form ECS to Property Accounting, FREH.
  • Non-Capital Asset – The business office will need to prepare a Parked Document using G/L 539850 – Capital Recharge, which will need to be submitted to Accounting Services for processing.

    ***Reminder –Guidelines for Proper Disposal of Electronic Media must be followed

Not-Advertised - complete an ECS form, obtain approval signatures,
and send the form to Property Accounting, FREH.

***Departments can list more than 1 item on an ECS form or attach spreadsheet.

Property Accounting will process all forms.

A copy of the ECS form will be sent to the Warehouse and Surplus Store, who will arrange for pickup of the equipment. Warehouse & Surplus Store will decide if the item is sellable or to be recycled. If it is to be sold it will be placed on the sales floor.

If a department is interested in purchasing an item, a Warehouse & Surplus Form 13 is filled out. Warehouse & Surplus Store will then charge the listed account number for the purchase.

Items marked as
Excellent, Good, Fair or Poor
  Once the sales of items from an ECS form have accumulated to $100 or more, the department will receive a credit for 70% of the total sale.  This credit will be posted to the account number listed on the ECS form.
Items marked as Junk   As of July 1, 2013 items that are marked as “junk” on the ECS form will mean that the departments will receive $0 for that item.

***Departments can list more than 1 item on an ECS form or attach spreadsheet.

** If an item contains oils, or any other unidentified liquids, Warehouse & Surplus Store will advise the department who they need to contact for removal of liquids.

**Hazardous items are not allowed to leave campus until they have been declared safe by Radiological and Environmental Management (REM). Warehouse & Surplus Store staff work closely with REM in identifying items that may contain asbestos, mercury, Freon and even radioactive sources to meet all EPA codes and standards. 


Warehouse & Surplus Store, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, (765) 742-4414

© 2010 Purdue University | An equal access/ equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints
If you have trouble accessing this page because of a disability, please contact
our Customer Service Representative at (765) 494-7205 or

visa logo
mastercard logo
discover card logo