Research Integrity Office


The Purdue Research Integrity Office addresses reports of potential misconduct in research carried out:

  • by any Purdue associate (e.g., students, staff, post-docs, visiting scholars, faculty)
  • within the last six years (with some exceptions)

Purdue University’s Policy and Procedures are located online as shown by:

Although anyone internal or external to Purdue University can report such misconduct, all Purdue associates (e.g., students, staff, post-docs, visiting scholars, faculty) are required to report an observation of potential research misconduct.

A report of potential research misconduct can be submitted via any means of communication to the Purdue Research Integrity Officer, the Provost, or via the Purdue Hotline using the links below:

What is Research Misconduct?

Purdue’s Policy on Research Misconduct defines research misconduct as:

  • Plagiarism: The appropriation of another person's ideas, processes, results, or words without giving appropriate credit.
  • Falsification: Manipulating research materials, equipment, or processes, or changing or omitting data or results so that the research involved is not accurately represented in the research record.
  • Fabrication: Making up data or results and recording or reporting them.

What are Detrimental Research Practices (DRPs)?

In Purdue’s Policy on Research Misconduct and in research misconduct policies adopted by many Purdue research funders, “Research misconduct” is defined as fabrication, falsification or plagiarism of records from the conduct of research. Detrimental research practices are actions that, while not rising to the level of research misconduct, do threaten the real and perceived integrity of the research and researcher. All Purdue associates (e.g., students, staff, post-docs, visiting scholars, faculty) should be aware of the breadth of behaviors that are categorized as DRPs.

More information on detrimental research practices is available on the Graduate School Mentoring, Advising, and Reporting web page. For assistance from the Graduate School contact the Office of Graduate Assistance.

Other Reporting Mechanisms

Grievances and disputes falling outside those described here are likely managed by other offices on the Purdue University campus.

Purdue University, 610 Purdue Mall, West Lafayette, IN 47907, (765) 494-4600

© 2023-2024 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by Office of the Provost

Trouble with this page? Disability-related accessibility issue? Please contact Office of The Provost at