Research Misconduct—Frequently Asked Questions

I believe that I may have evidence of potential research misconduct, to whom should I report an allegation based on this evidence?

The Purdue Policy and Procedures on Research Misconduct defines research misconduct and states that allegations of potential research misconduct should be reported to the university’s Research Integrity Officer, James Mohler, and/or Provost, Jay Akridge. Allegations of potential research misconduct will be accepted by these individuals via any medium.

Allegations or rumors of potential research misconduct can be very damaging to the reputation and professional career of the accused (respondent), even if the allegation is eventually found to be incorrect. As a result, Purdue associates, who believe that they may have witnessed potential research misconduct, should bring their concerns to the attention of the Research Integrity Officer and/or Provost directly, and should not discuss their concerns with friends, colleagues, fellow students, or family members.

If you are uncomfortable contacting the Research Integrity Officer or Provost directly, you may report your concern via Purdue’s Hotline.

How much information is required to report an allegation of potential research misconduct?

Allegations of potential research misconduct can be reviewed and resolved most efficiently if (i) they identify potentially fabricated or falsified data, or plagiarized text, data, or ideas specifically with supporting evidence in writing, and (ii) the individual reporting the allegation is identified.

Availability of as much information as possible facilitates review of the evidence and allows the Research Integrity Officer to go back to the complainant for additional clarification. However, allegations of potential research misconduct will be accepted in any format or medium, and all allegations will be reviewed under the  Procedures for Addressing Allegations of Research Misconduct.

Anonymous allegations of potential research misconduct can be more difficult to address due to the absence of continuing assistance from the accuser, however, anonymous allegations will be accepted and reviewed.

I am associated with one of Purdue’s regional campuses, does Purdue’s research misconduct policy apply to allegations of potential research misconduct at my campus? Does my campus have its own Research Integrity Officer?

Policy III.A.2 is a Purdue University system-wide policy and applies to all Purdue associates in all programs at all Purdue campuses. There is only one Purdue Research Integrity Officer, Professor James Mohler. Purdue’s regional campuses do not have separate Research Integrity Officers. All allegations of potential research misconduct in Purdue programs should be reported (via any means of communication) to the Purdue Research Integrity Officer, Provost, or via the Purdue Hotline, regardless of campus or program.

Purdue University, 610 Purdue Mall, West Lafayette, IN 47907, (765) 494-4600

© 2023-2024 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by Office of the Provost

Trouble with this page? Disability-related accessibility issue? Please contact Office of The Provost at