Purdue Extension conference to cover latest info on PED virus
September 15, 2014
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - A conference sponsored by Purdue Extension will present updated information on the porcine epidemic diarrhea virus as well as a panel discussion by swine experts.
The Purdue PED Conference will be Oct. 21 at the Hendricks County 4-H complex and conference center, at the intersection of County Road 200 E and E. Main Street (Old U.S. 36) in Danville. The event will run 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EDT. The conference will be helpful to all swine producers, regardless of farm size, as well as to swine veterinarians and others in swine-related industries.
Eight speakers of various swine expertise, including members of Purdue Extension, veterinarians from Indiana and a member of the Indiana Board of Animal Health, will present information on PED.
Speakers and topics:
* Daren Miller, Indiana swine production veterinarian: PED basics such as how to identify the virus, how it is spreads and how it affects production phases, and comparing PED to transmissible gastroenteritis.
* Craig Bowen, swine programs director at the Indiana Board of Animal Health: Indiana occurrences, case definitions and a recap before the federal order on PED, current regulations and how to report cases.
* Brian Arnold, vice president of member outreach and youth development at the National Swine Registry: PED safety and regulations at livestock competitions and shows.
* Lindy Miller, Purdue Extension educator: Planning for outbreaks financially and maintaining employee morale.
* Roman Pogranichniy, professor of virology and pathologist at the Indiana Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory: Testing and sampling of PED at ADDL and why the virus is challenging for the swine industry.
* John Baker, Indiana swine production veterinarian: Strategies to improve PED immunity.
* Tom Gillespie, Indiana swine production veterinarian: How to handle reinfection of PED.
* Max Rodibaugh, Indiana swine production veterinarian: Additional biosecurity measures with PED.
Registration information is available at http://www.purdueped.info. Registration will close on Oct. 7.
Writer: Emma Hopkins, 765-494-8402, firstname.lastname@example.org
Source: Kara Stewart, 765-496-6199, email@example.com