Purdue to operate on normal schedule
January 27, 2014
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – Purdue officials announced that the university will operate on a normal schedule for Monday (Jan. 27).
While all classes are slated to take place on a regular schedule, students are encouraged to contact their professors for further information, as instructors could decide to cancel individual class sessions.
Any employees who determine that their individual situation makes travel to work unsafe are reminded they can use paid or unpaid leave if they are unable to report for campus duty, however, they should contact their supervisors as soon as possible. The university's adverse weather policy is available online at http://www.purdue.edu/policies/facilities-safety/iva6.html.
Those driving on area roads can monitor their county travel status by going online to http://www.in.gov/dhs/traveladvisory/.
As the area braces for sub-zero temperatures, Carol Shelby, senior director for environmental health and public safety, offers the following advice for those who will be walking on campus:
* Make sure you have winter footwear with excellent treads to help keep your footing on ice. Additional tips to help avoid slips in snowy and icy conditions are available online at https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/purduetoday/releases/2013/Q4/winter-walking-tips-to-avoid-slip-and-fall-injuries.html
* Wear several layers of lightweight, warm clothing.
* Wear a scarf to cover your mouth.
* Mittens that fit snugly at the wrists are better than gloves.
* Sport a hat to prevent body heat loss from your head.
* Take the Purdue pedestrian tunnels and enclosed walkways.
* Ride CityBus, which is free to everyone with a Purdue student, faculty, staff or retiree identification card.
Source: Carol Shelby, senior director for environmental health and public safety, firstname.lastname@example.org