Purdue University and Purdue Global Vision Coverage
Purdue’s vision plan, through a program called Vision Service Plan (VSP), is a separate election from the medical plan and is made each year during open enrollment. It is a free benefit for employees and families and is available even if you are not covered by a Purdue medical plan. However, you must elect vision coverage for yourself in order to elect it for your dependents.
The program covers services from both VSP member and non-member providers. In addition to glasses and contacts, the plan offers discounts on LASIK and PRK procedures. Note: Treatment of a medical condition affecting your eyes, such as glaucoma or pink eye, is handled through your medical plan.
Note: Graduate staff have a different plan through VSP. Click here for more details.
When services are provided by a VSP member provider, you pay only your deductible and the cost of any extras you want. Tints, special treatments and specialized frames may be ordered; the additional charge you pay for these items will be at the controlled price available to VSP participants.
|Included in Prescription Glasses
|Included in Prescription Glasses
$150 - $175
Computer Vision Care (Employee Only)
|Up to $60
|Non-Elective/Medically Necessary Contacts
|Glasses and Sunglasses
Call VSP Member Services at 800-877-7195 or log on to the VSP website and click on the “Members” tab.For new users, click on "Create an Account."
- Enter the last four digits of your SSN in the appropriate field under "SSN or Member ID.”
- Complete the remaining fields on the form.
- Follow instructions for setting up your own username and password.
- When finished, click the "Create an Account" button at the bottom of the page.
Note: When scheduling an appointment with a participating VSP provider, you will use your SSN as your VSP ID number. Dependents under your plan may provide the last 4 digits of your SSN and your full name when making an appointment of their own.
VSP members have access to over $3,000 in savings.
- Learn more about VSP Vision Care Exclusive Member Benefits and how they can benefit you.
Buying eyewear online is convenient and easy.
- Via VSP, Eyeconic® provides a seamless way to buy eyewear online.
A WellVision Exam® from a VSP provider is an important part of your care at any age.
- Learn more about the importance of an eye exam and how they can benefit your overall health.
Employees enrolled in VSP may be eligible for a second pair of glasses to wear specifically while working on a computer.
- These can be purchased only from a VSP member provider. Call ahead to your VSP doctor’s office to see if they require a form to be filled out ahead of your appointment.
- Your copay for the computer glasses is $5. The frame allowance is $90.
- VSP Computer VisionCare is available to you through your vision plan. See “Should You Be Concerned About Blue Light Exposure?” for more information on how blue light impacts vision.
For those living with diabetic eye disease, you can receive your routine eye care and follow-up medical eye care services from your VSP doctor.
- Learn more about the VSP Diabetic Eyecare Plus Program.
VSP Exclusive Member Extras provides hearing help, too.
- TruHearing® provides exclusive savings to VSP members via your VSP Vision Plan.
To be eligible for reimbursement, out-of-network claims must be submitted to VSP within 12 months after the date the services were completed, and international claims must be submitted within 6 months. Claims submitted after these deadlines are not eligible for reimbursement.
VSP is a national insurance plan with no providers outside of the U.S., except Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. When living or traveling outside the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands, you’ll pay for services and then submit a claim to VSP, along with the proper receipts, just as you would with any out-of-network claim. VSP will convert the currency according to the date of service and reimburse you in U.S. dollars at the out-of-network level.
Reimbursement for applicable benefits are listed below:
|Out-of-Network Benefit Allowance
|Annual vision exam
|Up to $45*
|Single vision lenses
|Up to $30**
|Up to $50**
|up to $50**
|Up to $65**
|Up to $70**
|Elective Contact Lenses
|Up to $105
|Up to $210
*A $5 patient deductible is taken before the eye exam benefit listed above is paid.
**A $10 materials deductible is taken before the benefits listed above are paid. If both lenses and frames are purchased, only one $10 deductible applies for materials.