Say It In 6®
What is Say It In 6®? Based on SMITH magazine's "Six-Word Memoirs" concept, Say It In 6® is a competition that challenges you to tell a story about your graduate experience — in a clear, concise and, most importantly, creative way — by using only six words and a visual aid.
The competition is open to all graduate and professional students, nondegree students, and postdoctoral fellows at Purdue. Those interested in submitting entries, which are normally due during the spring semester, should contact competition administrators.
Entries will be published on the Graduate School's website and social media pages, and finalists' will be recognized at the annual Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) competition reception. Three cash prizes will be awarded:
- $1,000 for first place
- $500 for second place
- $500 for the People's Choice Award winner
Additionally, books from the Six-Word Memoir series will be awarded to the above winners.Submit Now!
Please see below for a complete list of rules for the annual Purdue Say It In 6® competition.
- Competitors should submit their six-word story and accompanying visual aid online by the stipulated deadline.
- Visual aids are required.
- The word portion of your submission should be exactly six words — no more and no fewer. Each word counts as one word, even if two or more are hyphenated.
- Both the six-word statement and the visual aid must be original. Visual aids may be your own photography or artwork, or you may use a photo of yourself with permission of the photographer. Do not submit stock photos or clip art. If you create nondigital art, you may include a digital print or a high-quality photo of your work in your online submission. If you are chosen as a finalist, you will also have the option to bring your original artwork to the Graduate School office to be included at the reception. You may include your six words in your image, but it is not required. Your six words and your name will appear in a caption online.
- Visual aid submissions must be at least 4.0 MB, but 5.0 MB or larger image files are strongly encouraged. Ideal size is 8 x 10 inches at 300 dpi or larger. Digital files are acceptable in JPG and TIFF formats. Original artwork should be 12 x 18 inches in size or smaller.
- Each competitor will choose one of 8 categories in which they would like their entry to be judged. Competitors are free to interpret the categories in whatever ways they wish. The categories will change from year to year. This year's categories are:
- Purdue University
- The Graduate School reserves the right to disqualify entries that use hateful, violent, attacking, or otherwise inappropriate language, or identify FERPA- or HIPAA-protected information. Entries that are found to not be the original work of the entrant will also be disqualified.
- Multiple entries are welcome; however submissions are limited to one per category listed above.
- Competition opens: February 4, 2020
- Submission deadline: March 20, 2020
- People's Choice voting: April 6 - April 10, 2020
- Winners announced: April 13, 2020
If you have questions about the Purdue Say It In 6® competition, please contact competition administrators. A list of past winners is also available. For more information on the history of the competition, please visit SMITH magazine's "Six-Word Memoirs."